18 | death and comfort

Dedicated to my father -  who proved to me
that distance does make the heart fonder

Dedicated to my father -  who proved to methat distance does make the heart fonder

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"Five minutes, I promise," I said. I was standing in my room, dressed in a navy button-down shirt and faded blue jeans, talking with Preeti on my phone.

Pretti groaned. "That's what you said fifteen minutes ago."

I opened my room door and made my way to the front door. There was no interruptions from my sisters since they were out with my mother, handing out wedding invitations.

"This time, I'm being real. I'm leaving home now. I've gotten really punctual since I left college."

My best friend snorted. "Sure and college made me taller."

I laughed. She was definitely being sarcastic. I haven't seen her in four years since I left for Cambridge but I am sure she hasn't grown an inch. She hasn't in about ten years.

"I really miss you, alright? So you understand why I'm literally standing at my front gate to catch a glimpse of your face. Besides, I want to hear all about your fiancée," Preeti continued.

Fiancée. I wanted to tell her that there is nothing for me to tell about since I had only seen him once but I could vent it all out to her later.

"Alright. I'm getting into the lift so I'm going to lose reception. I'll see you in five," I said as the lift arrived at the eighth floor of my condominium.

Just as I cut the call, my phone started ringing again. I ignored it, mentally reminding myself to call back whoever it was once I got into my car.

The caller was really persistent so I knew who it was. I've received twelve calls and forty-two messages from that person alone in the past twenty-four hours.

When I drove out my condominium compound, I parked my car by the side of the road and called back the number.

"Akansha! You finally decided to pick up."

"I just thought that after ignoring all those calls and messages, you would understand that I didn't want to talk to you, Stef."

"This isn't about me!" Stefan yelled.

Only then did I realise his voice was hoarse and strained, the way someone's would be if they had spent the night crying.

"I just thought you ought to know that my dad suffered another heart attack yesterday. This time, you wouldn't have to visit him in the hospital," Stefan said in a muted voice.

No.

Leo wasn't supposed to die. At least not for a few more years. He was supposed to be have time to host another dinner with his son's future wife, walk his daughter down the aisle and celebrate his 25th wedding anniversary with his wife.

I cut the call without a word and drove to Preeti's house in silence. I mumbled a 'hello, auntie' to her mother before taking the stairs to her room.

I had managed to hold back my tears up to that moment but when I saw my best friend of almost ten years, the dam broke. I crumpled to the ground and she was there to catch me.

Her arms were around me and she was whispering words of comfort without asking what was wrong. Just the way she did when I told her my parents were going to divorce nine years ago or when I told her how much I was going to miss her when I was leaving for college four years ago. She had always been there for me and I was glad to know she still is.

A nagging voice in my head whispered, 'Stefan needs someone to be there for him too.'

stars and snowflakes | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें