"He was playing with fire and so he got burnt."

Brooklyn

Morning rolled around before I even realized it, and my mom was at the hospital with coffee and blueberry muffins from Starbucks and a bag with a change of clothes for me.

First, she hugged me very tight, smacking a sounding kiss on my cheek. "You look terrible, honey."

She'd brought enough coffee to feed the whole hospital floor so we all had breakfast—Jazmyn, Kelsey, Sam, Mike, Luke and Will had come first thing in the morning—before Mom dragged me to the restrooms.

I'd changed into a pair of jeans and a red turtleneck and brushed my teeth, which was as close to showering as I would get because I refused to leave the hospital to go home. The comb my mom had brought got stuck in my hair at least twice, and I whined all the time as she brushed it through the blonde tangles and knots that had formed overnight. Secretly, I knew she loved playing beautician with me. By the end of the makeover, I looked half human at least.

"I still think you should go home and get some sleep," Mom said as we joined the rest in the waiting room. The one by the ICU was bigger and a little prettier, with potted plants and glass coffee tables with magazines. It also was fuller than the ER, which wasn't such a positive thing.

"I'm not leaving," I repeated for the umpteenth time. I refused to go anywhere more than a few feet away from the ICU doors. Needless to say, Tyson and I had been kicked out of the room about ten minutes after we'd come in by the nurse that was in charge of those patients last night. She'd nicely warned us that if she caught us there again she'd call security. Even though I wanted to be next to Justin in case he opened his eyes, I was grateful we'd at least been able to see him for a bit because now that it was morning the hospital was much busier and there were so many nurses and doctors that it'd be impossible to sneak in. Not even with the fiancée excuse.

Pattie and Jazmyn were allowed to go in and that's where they'd been most of the time, thought I knew it did get boring when you couldn't get any response out of Justin and you had to stare at his sick form for too long. It was a whole new level of heart-aching.

Sam patted the seat next to hers when she saw me pacing up and down the hallway. I don't think I'd ever bitten my nails so short. One was even bleeding.

"You need to chill or you're going to give yourself an aneurysm," she said as I plopped down on the little blue couch.

I sighed. I had been feeling uneasiness in my stomach for so many hours straight that it didn't feel uneasy anymore.

"I'm just so worried," I said, bouncing my knee up and down.

Sam put her hand on my leg to stop it. "We are all worried, but this is Justin. He loves being the center of attention now and then. He'll wake up any minute when he gets tired of the show."

I knew she was trying to make light of it and crack a joke, but I couldn't even manage a smile. "I don't even know what's going to happen when he wakes up," I admitted.

"What do you mean? If I'm honest with you, I have no idea of what happened between you two because Justin's been dodging my questions. That means he feels bad."

I looked at her. Her belly was getting huge. The baby was due to August so that meant only four more months left. To me it looked like it could come out any minute, but what did I know about babies.

"Why would he feel bad?" I asked, confused.

"Duh, because he knows he's hurt you. He cares about you. He loves you."

"That's not what he said a week ago," I mumbled acidly.

"I thought by now you'd learnt that Justin hardly ever means what he says. He has strange brain mechanisms to process his feelings for people and sometimes he does stupid shi—crap," she corrected herself. "No swearing in front of the baby," she explained.