"My life is already wrecked. There is nothing that can save it."

Start from the beginning

I skedaddled away from Anthony as soon as I saw my chance, returning back to my car. I saw my friend Luke a few feet away. He must've just gotten there. I cursed under my breath when Tyson came out of the hideous maroon van too.

"Shit," I muttered, giving my back to them. Too late. I was pretty sure they had already seen me. What were they even doing here? I knew Luke usually came to see the races, but Tyson? What the fuck?

"Justin!" a feminine voice called from behind me.

I was forced to turn around and be met with Tyson's confused/angry/bewildered stare. However, the girl that had called me was standing in front of me, kind of invading my personal space as she effectively blocked him. Well half of him considering how tiny she was.

"Hey," she waved a hand in my face.

"Do I know you?" I asked, wrinkling my face.

The girl didn't seem faced by my impoliteness.

"I'm a friend of your sister, Jazmyn," she said, twirling her dark hair in her fingers as she smiled up at me.

"In that case you shouldn't be here," I replied, not more friendly.

"Oh, I came with my friends. It's my first time, and I saw you over here. Are you racing?" Her voice was way too peppy.

Was this what 15-year-olds did nowadays, hang out in abandoned pieces of wasteland, watching people possibly get into accidents and wreck their cars as they drank booze? If I ever found Jazmyn here, I'd murder her. I made a mental note to tell her to stay away from the gaudy girl.

"Yeah, I am," I answered her question, actually wishing Tyson would decide to interrupt this beyond-awkward conversation with this way-too-smiley chick that was supposedly Jazzy's friend but that I'd never seen before.

"Good luck, then. I'll be cheering for you." Her innocent grin turned into a sultry smirk. Was she really flirting with me? Did she know I was 5 years older than her, in a relationship, and totally not interested? Apparently not.

I couldn't see the moment she would finally leave.

"My name's Ellie, by the way," the girl added, still planted there twirling her curls as she bit her lip. Damn, that gesture reminded me of Brooklyn again.

I gave her a toothless, tight smile, and tried to say nicely, "Cool. Thanks, Ellie."

Seemingly content, she strutted—actually swaying her little hips!—over to her group of friends that immediately started squealing with her. Seriously? I rolled my eyes. They'd probably dared the Ellie chick to come up to me.

A second later Tyson was in front of me, and up-close his expression definitely screamed astonishment. And fury. Lots of fury.

"What the actual fuck are you doing here, dude?" he shouted, his eyes widening.

"I could ask you the same question." I shrugged a shoulder, leaning against the hood of my car.

Tyson let out a breath of disbelief. "Mike overheard you and Anthony talking about this"—he gestured with his hands around us—"the other day, but I never thought we'd actually find you here. Are you completely out of your mind, Justin?"

I looked away. "No, I'm not. I'm doing this for the money if it isn't obvious. As soon as I have enough to get me and my family by, I'll quit," I explained coolly.

Tyson shook his head. "You better than anyone know how this works, bro. There's no quitting with Anthony. You've tried so hard to distance yourself from all this shit, and now you're back at it? I seriously don't understand." He brought his hands to his buzzed hair. "Fuck, Justin. What are you doing with your life?"