"You thought I wouldn't find out, Brooklyn?

Start from the beginning

“What is it to you?” He mimicked my bitchy tone from before.

“Considering that she’s a backstabbing bitch that used to be my bestfriend, well, I think I have the right to care.” I replied, my hands gripping the steering wheel with such force that my knuckles went white.

“Whatever, Brooklyn.” Ryan hissed. “You have no idea of how frustrating it is to see you’re disobeying me and ignoring my advice.” I could picture him shaking his head in disappointment but I wanted to laugh.

“Excuse me, but you never gave me a valid reason to stay away from Justin.” I pointed.

“Me being your older brother should be enough.” He answered back.

“Older brothers are supposed to be caring and supportive, not sneaky asses that tell on their sisters.” I said, hurt and anger mixing in my words.

“One day, you’ll realize I’m doing this for you and then you’ll wish you had listened to me.” He said sincerely.

“You’ve never given me a reason to do that.” I mumbled, sadness taking over my emotions.

“Why do you think Justin hasn’t told you anything either? He doesn’t want you to know because then you won’t want to be with him anymore.”

This is so frustrating, I thought while parking my car in an empty spot near Justin’s house.

“Stop it, Ryan. I’m just…so sick of you doing this. I love Justin, okay?” I screamed, tears pricking at the back of my eyes. It was the first time I admitted it to someone else other than myself.

“Shit, Brooklyn, don’t cry.” His voice turned softer. “He’s not worth it, I’m just trying to be a good big brother and protect you. Besides he’s so much older than you.”

“You’re not doing a great job.” I whispered more to myself than to him. “And he’s not that older than me, only a couple of years. You were three years older than Natasha when you guys dated.” Yes, that happened, unfortunately. “So your argument is invalid. Don’t be such a hypocrite.”

“I bet he only wants to get in your pants.” He scoffed, the softness leaving his words as quickly as it came.

“It seems like you’re defining yourself.” I chuckled humorlessly. I have a manwhore of a brother, yet he has the nerve to say Justin only wants me for sex. “I have to go, Ryan. Bye.” Giving him no chance to reply, I hung up and rested my head against the seat of my car, taking a moment to compose myself before getting out.

Once I was calmed and no longer crying, I checked my reflection in the rearview mirror. My eyes were slightly puffy but, fortunately, I had put on waterproof mascara this morning so I avoided the panda look. Taking a paper tissue from my pocket, I blew my nose. I looked like crap to be honest, but there was little I could do besides throwing my hair in a ponytail and trying to fake a smile.

Stepping out of the car, I locked the doors and began walking towards Justin’s building. I should have called him telling him I was coming but I didn’t have time. Just when I was about to cross to the right sidewalk, I caught sight of a familiar face. Squinting my eyes as I strolled closer, I realized it was Jazmyn. Upon seeing me, she frowned but met me halfway.

“Brooklyn, what are you doing here?” When she saw my face, concern instantly latched her soft features. “What happened?”

“I sort of walked away from my parents.” I scratched the inside of my wrist, looking down. I sounded like a whiny little brat.

“Are you serious?” She gave me the I-don’t-buy-it look.

“Do you know where your brother is?” I asked in urgency to see Justin. I needed him to tell me that everything was gonna be okay.