Chapter 13

"Is there something wrong, Lieutenant Hawkeye?" Lieutenant Colonel Hughes asked as he watched me clean one of my pistols.

"No, why would you ask something like that?"

"It's just... You've been so focused on your work for the past few days. You seem like your mind is in a far away place."

"You don't have to worry, Hughes. I'm fine."

"It's about Roy, isn't it Riza?"

I froze.

"You don't want him to marry Scarlett, do you?"

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course, Lieutenant."

"You can't tell a soul. Not Gracia. Not Roy. Nobody alright?"

He pushed up his glasses. "I think I can manage."

I held out my pinky. "Promise?"

He looped his pinky around mine. "Promise."

I took a deep breath and looked back down at my gun. "I'm in love with the Colonel." I managed to choke out.

Hughes smirked. "I knew it."

"But how?"

"I've always known you guys had something hidden between you two. Something even I couldn't understand. The way you two interact gives both of your feeling for each other away."

"Don't be ridiculous, Hughes. Roy sees me as a sister."

"There's something there, Riza. He has feelings for you, even if he's trying to hide it from everyone. Maybe it's not as strong as his love for Scarlett, but there's no denying it, Hawkeye, he cares for you too."

I smiled. "Thanks Maes."

He smiled back. "No problem, it's not very often that I see this softer side of you. It's nice."

"Am I interrupting?" Colonel Mustang's voice asked.

"Roy!" Hughes cheered, patting the seat next to him. "Sit!"

He took the seat and then looked at me. "So, Lieutenant, how are your wounds healing up?"

"Good." I replied. They actually hurt pretty bad, even with the medication I'm on, but I would never tell Roy that. "I don't think I ever thanked you for saving my life, sir."

"You don't have to, Lieutenant."

It's hard to believe that he saved my life, just so I could end it on an already set date.

~~~~~:D~~~~~

My slumber that night was interrupted by a knock on my door.

I quickly threw my hair in a ponytail, assuming it was an emergency.

I  yawned and opened the door to see Colonel Mustang standing on the other side.

"Colonel? Do you know what time it is?"

He sighed. "Yeah I know. I was wondering if I could crash here tonight?"

"May I ask why, sir?" I said, letting him into my apartment.

He scratched his head and slumped down on my couch. "Scarlett and I got into an argument. She kicked me out of the house."

"I'm sorry, sir." I replied, sitting down next to him.

"Why are you apologizing? It's my fault." He bowed his head.

"Oh, Colonel." I said, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. "Don't cry."

"Don't be ridiculous, Lieutenant." He said, wiping his eyes. "I'm not crying."