Chapter 21 (The Calm After a Storm)

Mai's POV

Why do I keep waking up a six o'clock in the morning? It's not like I have anywhere to be. I've got no plans, but my mind seams to think there's something else I should be doing other then sleeping, but what's more important then sleep? It's a way to block out the world around you and enter a realm that's completely yours and yours alone. And when you have a really impacting dream, it stays with you in detail and you can sometimes remember it in pictures and sounds. Almost like memories. A pleasant feeling to wake up to.

And sometimes a horrible one. Remembering the flashes and random cut scenes like a old broken down movie.

Maybe this is why I wake up so early, so my mind can play back these terrors like a broken record without disturbance, interference or distraction.

You can escape the world around you; the people, the sights, the sounds. You can block everything out that's bothering you. Flip a switch and suddenly you can't see them. Play the music loud enough and you can't hear them, but.......

Your mind is the one think you can't shut off. You can never just not think. There's always something running non stop that you can't prevent no matter how much you may want to.

That's how I feel right now. Like a broken record; replying the same nightmare over and over again without any sign of stoping, all because I woke up at six o'clock in the morning.

....................

Nine o'clock and here comes the routine knock on my door not a minute late, "Are you up Mai?" Everyday Monk comes and knocks on my door at nine to make sure I'm up and moving around.

"Good morning Monk." It's like clockwork, the knock on the door, the morning greetings and next he's going to ask me if I slept alright...

"Did you sleep well?" And now my go to answer for everything now a days,

"I slept fine, thanks." I'm fine. I'm okay. Everything is good and well. For the most part, everything is fine. Except for the nightmares. I have not gotten any more random visits or visions and I would like to keep it that way.

"You go ahead and get dressed and we can head down to get some breakfast." Monk smiled. He's really trying, I can tell, but this is killing him on the inside. He's smile doesn't reach he's eyes like it used too. He no longer messes up my hair in attempt to tease me. Everything is different now. Nothing's the same as it used to be. "Mai, did you hear me?"

"Yes, I will meet you downstairs after I get ready."

"Do you feel like going out for a walk today? It's beautiful outside and the air is warm." I took a quick glance out my bedroom window and realized that it's been almost a week since I've been outside. What's happened to me? I use to love going outside and breathing in the fresh air and feeling the sunlight on my skin, something I desperately need at the moment.

"I would really like that." I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I could tell by his stiff posture that he was not expecting the hug but gladly excepted it with open arms. "Thank you Monk. I know this has been hard for you and I'm sorry for that. I really am."

"I would do anything for you, you know that. I just want my Mai back. My little sister back." He kissed the top of my head softly before stepping out the door and heading down the stairs.

"I want her back too."

.................................

"Good morning Mai" Naru said as soon as he could see me coming down the stairs. I no longer had the leg brace, thank god and almost all of my injuries were healed and better. "Come sit down and eat something." I took my normal seat next to him and started to eat the fruit and yogurt that he brought me.

"Thank you Naru."

"You're very welcome." He was absentmindedly reading the morning paper while talking with me. "Monk tells me that you are interested in taking a walk today?" He took a sip of his coffee to hide the small smile that was gracing the corners of his lips.

"Yes, I think it's time that I've gotten out and stretched my legs a bit. Enjoy the warm weather and sunlight while it lasts." He put down his drink and paper and gave me his full attention. I placed my hand in his and sighed in contempt. This is really what I needed.

"You go outside and enjoy sometime with Monk; he needs it just as much as you do. The rest of us will continue working the case intel you guys get back, so take your time." He grabbed tighter on to my hands and helped me stand up. I leaned into his chest so that he could rest his head on mine. "Everything is going to be just fine." My arms wrapped tighter around his waist

"I know."