Chapter 19 (Suspect)

Naru POV

"Dominic cross. Do you have anything on him?"

"He has quite the criminal record. Two accounts of aggravated assault, property damage, kidnapping, misdemeanors and drug possession. The list goes on. His wife and child were killed a little over two years ago but the murderer was never found. He has no cards listed, no bank accounts and no record of the last month. No home address, work place or phone number."

"Hmmm. Why would this person be targeting Mai? What's the connection."

"I don't know yet but, I'll keep digging."

"No. Get some rest for now. We can pick this back up tomorrow after everyone is rested. Go get some sleep Lin." Lin nodded and shut down the computer. After we exchanged good night's I headed back out to the sitting room with Mai still sleeping peacefully on the couch. I take a quick glance at her face to find it scrunched up in pain and her hands griping the blankets. Moving closer I shake her shoulder slightly till she starts to stir awake. "Mai, are you Okay? You were having what seams to be a nightmare."I sit down by her side and softly rub her hand.

"I can't get him out of my head Naru. He just won't leave me alone. I can barely sleep because every time I close my eyes he's there waiting to plague me with nightmares."

"As long as I'm by your side he won't hurt you. You are safe here. The nightmares are not real and he is not there. It's only you and I and the rest of our friends. Nobody else." I lay us both back on the long couch and rest her head on my chest. "You can rest peacefully now Mai." She slowly closes her eyes and I wait to close mine till I know she is sound asleep.

The next morning everyone was up around ten and Lin was back in the office. Monk was in the kitchen with Ayako making breakfast. John had to go to church considering it's Sunday. Mai slept peacefully after her nightmare and I was glad for that. She needed some well deserved rest. Her eyes still have dark circles under them and she is still quite skinny but it's an improvement on her earlier state. Lin and I have yet to share the information with everyone else only because we don't want Mai to over hear and become upset. We plan on revealing the information late to night long after she falls asleep just to be sure. After breakfast Mai fell back asleep on the couch while everyone went off in different directions. Night fell fast and Lin and I gathered everyone around one in the morning to tell them the news. Before we discussed what we found we checked one more time to make sure Mai was asleep, then we moved to the office.

Lin started, "we think we found the person who has been attacking Mai."

"His name is Dominic Cross. He has a very long criminal record consisting of aggravated assault, property damage, kidnapping, drug possession. The list goes on. His wife and child were murdered two years ago but the murderer was never found. He has no cards in his name, no bank accounts or any sort of record of this month. He has no phone number, home address or job. He is going to be hard to track down." I continued to relay all the information we learned the night before.

"So your saying we barely have anything on him." Monk added.

"I was able to find a picture of him from his criminal records." I pulled the picture out of my back pocket and placed it on the desk. "He's thirty one years old but looks remarkably young for his age. Might have something to do with his powers." We all stayed up till around three looking more into this guy. The troubling part is, nothing more came up. It's like he has almost completely erased himself.