Chapter 53: A son's first hero

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, I heard a noise. I ran on my toes to my children. I woke Zuko up and carried Ilah in my arms and then we walked to Lu Ten's and then Medora's room.

"Lu Ten, Medora, you two take Ilah and try to sneak out of here. Run to Haku and Rin's place and ask for help."

"What's happening here Saira?"

"Someone is here...and it's not Iroh. Now take your niece and try not to get caught."

But before anyone could move, I heard footsteps behind us and I felt something in my waist. My waist felt as if it was burning and the item that was in there, was pulled out.

"Run!", I yelled to Lu Ten and Medora. I tried to get up with Zuko in my arms. Pain rushed through my body and my son was crying into my ears. There wasn't anything, I could attack the man behind me with but suddenly I found a vase. My hands wandered slowly to the table and I threw the item at the man.

This is your chance Saira! Run!

My feet carried me through the whole palace and I just hoped that Lu Ten and Medora were hidden with my daughter somewhere. I could not carry both children and my In-laws. Since Ilah was the calmer one of my two children, I let Lu Ten and Medora carry her because she wouldn't do anything anyway, while Zuko was our little brat, so I had to take care of him, otherwise he would have given the thieves a warning signal with his lively behaviour.

Sometimes I wished that my children didn't take after me.

I ran down the stairs, my biggest mistake because the other goons were already waiting there. I hugged Zuko tighter with one arm and shot fire balls in the thieves directions. It was not the Agni Kai Triad.They would not dare to attack the Royal Family or fire benders. I noticed that each of them tried to dodge the fire but they didn't attack.
Soon I realized that they were non-benders. They were the Equalists. I attacked them again and ran through the gap, they made and took my grandfather's sword while running. I needed something to defend myself and since I only had one arm, since my other one was carrying my son. Behind me, my enemies got closer and I would fight with them, injure them.

Where the hell were the guards now?

One of the equalists cut my upper arm, causing me to let my sword drop.
I was panting and my whole body was aching. I could feel every cut on my body, on my face. The man from the beginning was now standing in front of me. I was helpless, the first time in my life. My body could not move, it was exhausted from running and fighting. The only thing I could do, was pressing my son's little body against mine to protect him.

"Wait! Wait! Please!", I begged for the first time in my life, but I would do anything to save my children's life, "You can kill me, just like you were ordered to do...but please...have mercy on my son! He is innocent!"

The man had no emotions, no mercy on his face. I could see my desperate look in his glasses and raised my hand to protect Zuko from his blade. But before it could reach my boy, something stopped its owner. A long, sharp blade was peering through his chest. The man fell to the ground and I saw Iroh standing behind him. I have never seen my husband that outrageous. He scared me but he also saved our son and me. And I prayed that our daughter and his siblings were still alive. Iroh approached me and put his hand on my cheek.

This is all I could remember because everything around me went black. I wanted to prevent such a situation again. That was the reason why was sending my family back to the Fire Nation.