Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Nick

       I couldn't wait to tell Ginny the news I had for her. I knew she was really going to like it. In fact, she was going to love it.

       Hopefully.

       Today was here last day of school before winter break, so I was waiting for her in the parking lot, sitting on the hood of the car with Mason in my arms. When the bell rang, I kept my eyes on the door for Ginny.

       Unfortunately, Ginny's ex-friend Trudy walked out first and saw me. I immediately avoided her eye contact and turned my attention to Mason. However, that didn't stop her from walking up to me. "Hey, Nick," she said. "What are you doing here?"

       "Waiting for Ginny, obviously," I said. "And before you start, yes we're still together and no, we're not going to bring up any time soon."

       "You're wasting your time," she said.

       "And you're wasting your breath by telling me something I've heard over and over again," I said. "So, save your breath and walk away."

       Trudy snorted and walked away and I rolled my eyes. People really needed to mind their own business.

       Ginny then walked over, looking at me with raised eyebrows. "Okay, one, what are you doing here?" she asked.

       "Aww, would you rather have your brother pick you up?" I asked. "I can head back to my dorm and get him to pick you up instead."

       "I didn't say I don't want you here," she said. "It's just leading to my second question. Why are you here with my dog?"

       "Oh, that," I said. "It is because we are going on a road trip."

       "We're what?" she asked.

       "We are going on a road trip," I repeated. "I already talked to Grayson about it and I packed your things so we are going right now."

       "Are you serious?" she asked with a smile. "Where are we going?"

       "It's a secret," I said. "It will take a while to get there and we're going to have to stop off at a motel, so let's leave right now."

       Ginny smiled even wider and pulled me into a hug. "You're the best," she said. "But what about work?"

       "Darby will be taking over your shifts," I said. "It turns out he's an amazing cake decorator too, so your boss was happy to let him take over until you get back."

       "You really thought of everything, haven't you?" she asked.

       "But of course," I said. "So, let's get going."

       We got in the car and Ginny held Mason on her lap. I started up the car and began the twenty-two hour drive to Vermont, minus the stops, of course.

       Living in Miami, we rarely got snow, so I thought Ginny and I would go to one of the states that receives the most snow. We were going to be staying at a ski lodge for three days.

       Not even five minutes of driving, Ginny asked me if we were almost there.

       "You better not keep asking that," I said. "The only thing I'll tell you is that it will take twenty-two hours, minus stops."

       "Ooh, that's a long car ride," she said as she reached for the radio. "Luckily, we like the same kind of music."

       It wasn't long before one of our favorite songs came on the radio, so we started singing along, quite loudly, to the song.

       When it ended, Ginny smiled as she leaned back into her seat. "This will actually be fun," she said. "It will be great to get away from all the annoying people in my life. Like Liliana, my dad, everyone at school....Wow. Basically everyone in my life is annoying."

       "The only annoying person in my life is Liliana," I said. "Well, and your dad because he hates me for no reason other than I'm a perfect boyfriend."

       "You got that right," Ginny said. "And you were able to convince Grayson to let me go on a road trip?

       "Of course," I said. "His exact words were 'As long as your back by Christmas' and Christmas is in eight days, so we have plenty of time."

       "Sweet," Ginny said. "I'm happy Grayson took me to live with him. There would be no way my dad would ever let me go on a road trip with you, especially one that's, I'm guessing, in a whole other state."

       "You're right there," I said.

       "So, what state are we going to?" Ginny asked.

      "It's a secret," I said. "And don't even bother guessing, because I'm just going to deny every answer."

       Ginny frowned. "But I want to know."

       "But it's fun leaving you in suspense," I said. "All you need to know is that you will love it, I guarantee."

       "Is it New York?" she asked.

       "I just told you I'm going to deny every answer," I said.

       "Alaska?"

       "Yes, we're totally driving to Alaska," I said sarcastically. "That would take a lot longer than twenty-two hours, by the way."

       "Texas?" 

       "I'm denying every answer."

       "Hawaii?"

       "No, and we've already been to Hawaii," I said. "Stop guessing."

       "You're no fun," Ginny said. "Got any snacks? I haven't eaten for over two hours."

       "Wow, such a long time," I said. "Yeah, there's a bag of snacks in the backseat. See if you can reach for it."

       Even though she was holding Mason, she was able to reach the bag of snacks. She dug through the bag and pulled out a container of Pringles. "Sweet," she said. "You got everything I like."

       "Obviously," I said. "I want to make this road trip memorable for you. We've been through a lot this year, especially you, so I want to end this year with something we'll always treasure together."

       Ginny smiled and leaned over to kiss my cheek. "You're the best, Nick."

       "I know."

______________

So this book will end on chapter 40. There isn't that much for their story anymore and it was more like a fun book because a lot of you were asking for one after the bonus chapters I wrote for them.

There might be another Ginnick book in the future, but I have other books to write first.