Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Nick

       School was starting in two days, so I was back to living in the dorm room with Todd. I was the first one to get there and as soon as all my stuff was put away, I laid down on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. There was something going on in my mind that I just wanted to leave, but no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't.

       It was making me feel awful and honestly, I was avoiding Ginny because of it. She tried calling me and texting me, but I just couldn't reply to her.

       The door opened and Todd came in, bringing in all of his stuff with him. "I swear, if I see Darby even once, I will not hesitated to punch him in the face," he said, slamming the door shut.

       "What did he do now?" I asked.

       "He was making out with that stupid girl," he said. "And I'm pretty sure he saw me. I wouldn't be mad if he just told me that he didn't like me."

       "He can't do that," I said.

       "And why not?" he asked.

       "Because I talked to him," I said. "He never said I can't tell you."

       "Can't tell me what?" he asked.

       "He's not sure if he likes you," I said. "Oh, and he's bi."

       "That son of a bitch," Todd snapped. "See? This is why I never did relationships. It's worthless and time consuming and I am going to start buying cats." He huffed and sat down on his bed. "Screw you for being in a perfect relationship. Stupid Nick."

       I didn't answer.

       "Is everything okay?" he asked.

       I sighed. "I don't know."

       "What do you mean you don't know?" Todd asked. "You two are like the epitome of a perfect relationship."

       "Yeah, not everything is what it seems," I said.

       "Okay, you're really worrying me," Todd said. "Did you two break up or something?"

       "No," I said. "I'm just....kind of second guessing our relationship."

       "What? Why?" Todd asked.

       I sighed again. "I don't know. Lately I kind of feel like I'm holding her back. Like....she's not getting the true high school experience."

       "High school sucks, so what?" Todd asked. "She's probably happy she doesn't have to go through all that crap."

       "It's not just that," I said. "We're so dependent on each other and we've been spending almost all time together."

       "There's nothing wrong with that," Todd said.

       "Then why can't I get that out of my mind?" I asked. "I love her, more than anything, but....I don't know."

       "And that right there is another reason why I am never getting into a relationship," Todd said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go find a girl and resort back to my player ways because of a stupid certain someone."

       "I'm pretty sure that will only make things worse with Darby," I said.

       "Screw Darby," Todd said. "He's not coming around, so I'm going to have to move on. You, on the other hand, should probably at least try talking to Ginny."

       "Trust me, I tried, but I can't bring myself to doing it," I said.

       "You'll have to do it sooner or later," Todd said as he got off of his bed and walked to the door. Right as he opened it to leave, I saw Ginny standing there, about to knock on the door. "And I'm guessing it's sooner. Good luck, Nick." He then left, allowing Ginny to walk in before closing the door behind him.

       "'I'm guessing it's sooner'?" Ginny repeated. "'Good luck, Nick'? What's he talking about? And why have you been ignoring me?"

       I gestured for her to come over and she sat down on the bed. "This is going to be hard for me to say," I said.

       "Are you....are you breaking up with me?" she asked.

       "No," I said quickly. "I mean....I don't know."

       "You....you don't know?" she asked. "I-I thought....We....What's going on?"

       "Ginny, you know I love you," I said. "But lately I....I don't know. I feel like I'm holding you back."

       Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Y-you feeling like you're holding me back. Nick, you're the one in college. You're the one surrounded by all of these insanely smart people. Well, some insanely smart people. You're the one going to parties and you're the one who will be twenty on you're upcoming birthday. Sometimes, I feel like I'm too....I don't know, not mature enough."

       "Ginny, you are not holding me back," I said, taking my hands in hers. "Look, maybe we've been spending too much time together. I don't know. I just....lately, I've been doubting our relationship."

       Ginny's bottom lip began quivering. "Do you want to break up?" she asked.

       "No, I don't want to," I said. "I just....I think we need to start spending less time together."

       Ginny sighed and wiped some tears that were forming. "I know we've been spending a lot of time together, but....Nick, you're the only person I have. My dad is a jerk, my mom might love me but she can be a huge pushover, and all my siblings have their own lives and families. And I lost all the friends I had because they thought my crush on you was hopeless. You're not only my boyfriend, Nick. You're my best friend. But if you want us to spend less time together, then we will."

       I rubbed my forehead. "I don't know what I want, Ginny. Things are just going through my mind and...." I sighed. "I don't know what's happening. I keep thinking that this relationship is holding you back, but I can never let go of what we have, no matter what."

       Ginny got up from my bed and went to my desk. She grabbed my sketchbook and a pencil before sitting down beside me. "Here, draw your feelings," she said.

       "What?" 

       "Draw what you're feeling," she said. "I didn't see you draw a single thing while we were in Hawaii, so draw something now. And in the meantime, I should be heading home. Call me when you feel like you've had enough space, okay?"

       "You're not mad?" I asked.

       "No, of course not," Ginny said before kissing my cheek, then leaving my dorm room.

       I sighed and stared at the blank piece of paper in front of me. What was happening with me?

______________

Lol, this author note is going to be short because it's one in the morning and I have to wake up at 7:30. Oops. cx

So, drama will be coming soon. :D