Chapter~~19

LUCAS

            I woke to the ball room cover in blood. There were dead bodies lying all over the floor. Myxs were next to their Demons trying to wake them. The humans that had attended the ball were huddled in the corner trying to stay out of the way. What happened? Right that bastard pulled out a feather.

            (Dove feathers with an upside down cross drawn on it in virgin blood makes Demons lose consciousness. It is like our Demons are temporarily locked up and we cannot move our bodies.) Where is Navia? The room was full of screaming and crying. What has happened here?

            I got up from the floor and searched for her. She isn’t in here. I searched for her mind. All I felt was darkness. She is asleep. No, no she is not, she has been knocked unconscious. In an instant I went from confused and hurting to furious. I let out a yell that was something between a screech, a yell, and a growl. Demons began to wake and rise from the floor. Except for two that were already awake. They were convulsing on the floor. Their eyes were pained, and hurting. I watched them as their eyes turned back to golden yellow. What I saw was sad but I felt no sympathy for them. I must find Navia.

            “What happened here while we were unconscious?”

            Ryan, the boy Navia was talking to earlier, stepped out and spoke. “We attacked the humans and fought them. We killed most but a few got away.”

            “Do you know where Navia is?”

            “No” he said as he shook his head. “She was fighting next to me at one point but I wasn’t focused on her and once the fight was over I couldn’t find her.” I sniffed around. Her scent was all over the place. There is no way I can tell which way she went. I made a fist and punched the wall. I pulled my hand out of the wall and dusted it off. “Is there anyone else missing?”

            “Yes” said a human in the back of the room. It was governor Marteps. “They took my daughter Angela.”

            I went to the front door and on the door knob there was a piece of paper with a phone number on it. I raced to the kitchen and picked up the phone. I dialed the number and a man picked up on the fifth ring.

            “I have been waiting for you to call.” It was the same bastard that was talking earlier.

            “Did you take Navia?”

            “The half breed that attacked me? Yes I took her.” I almost crushed the phone in my grip. “She really is gorgeous. At first I was going to just kill her and send her lifeless body back to you. But now that I look at her it almost seems sinful to kill such beauty. She looks so innocent and fragile.” He paused and I could hear him breathing through the phone. “She’s right here next to me.”

            “Let me talk with her” I demanded.

            “Sorry can’t do that. Tell the governor to call me and I’ll tell him what I want in exchange for his daughter.”

            “What about Navia?” I yelled.

            He laughed. “Oh I think she’ll be staying with me.” He hung up the phone.

            I crushed the phone and threw it against the wall. Damn it. My wings pushed through the skin of my back and freed themselves. They flapped a couple times letting the air hit every feather. I went outside and as soon as I opened the door an arrow plunged into my arm. I looked at the arrow with disgust and pulled it out. I threw it to the ground. I smelled around but Navia’s scent was still everywhere, until I found a strong cluster of her scent. I followed it to a bush were I found her shoes. Damn it! They did that to throw me off of her real scent. I smelled some more but everything led me back to that bush. Police cars rolled up my driveway. There must have been about ten cars racing up my driveway. They parked and jumped out of their cars with their guns drawn.