Chapter ~~10

NAVIA

            Claude wrapped his arm around my waist and steered me away. It’s Lucas. He’s here, here with me. It doesn’t seem real. I was in such shock that I didn’t fight it. I looked back at Lucas. His eyes were sad and wrapped in pain. I wanted to go to him and make it all go away but I wasn’t in control of my legs at the moment. My whole body was buzzing, with excitement or fear or exhilaration, I didn’t know. My heart was pounding and my mind was racing.

            “Navia” Claude called, bringing me back to the present. While I was wrapped in my thoughts I had paid no attention to where Claude led me. My eyes went right to Claude, whose eyes were full confusion. “Are you okay?” I nodded my head and looked around the room. I was in the student lounge surrounded by people.

            The student lounge was in the middle of the second building, where students can go to hang out between classes and on Saturday. I looked around to see a bunch of familiar faces looking back at me. Tiffany, Sara, Zoey, Ryan, Claude, Elizabeth- a girl I met in literature-, and few other people were all there, looking at me with the same perplexed expression.

            “I was just thinking about a project I have due in a couple days” I explain/lied.

            Most of them accepted my excuse and went on with their conversation while two skeptical and unconvinced gazes stayed on me. I had no doubt they would bring it up again. Lucas would always make me explain things. And just like that my mind was back on Lucas. Why did he come here? Why now? Where did he go when he left me in the hospital? Questions like these swirled through my head begging to be answered but I came up with none. Though this whole situation was confusing I couldn’t help but be happy he came. My dream about him was true. He said I would get to see him soon and here he is.

            Lucas completely consumed my thoughts and I was only slightly aware of the conversation that was going on around me. Claude would occasionally ask me a question only momentarily gaining my attention. I would answer, but then go right back into my mind. At six thirty we all left to go to dinner together. On the way there Claude pulled me aside to talk.

            He stood in front of me looking concerned. “What is bothering you?”

            “Nothing, I just-”

            “Stop lying” he interrupted. “I know something more important than a project is bothering you. Tell me, I may be able to help.” His eyes were begging me to let him in.

            Oh my god. I’m in this relationship with Claude and I was just absorbed in my thoughts of Lucas. All I keep thinking about is how Lucas and I having this grand reuniting, and I have a boyfriend. Oh god I’m a terrible person. Claude has been the sweetest guy. He so nice to me and he cares for me, and I care for him. But what about Lucas? He makes the pain disappear, he makes me feel good inside. He makes me so happy, well he did until he left. He left me, the jerk. There my mind is made up I’m going to stay with Claude, he’s the best guy for me. But Lucas…

            “Navia” Claude shook me a little to get me out of my thoughts.

            “I’m fine” I said. Claude looked unconvinced. “I promise you. I’m fine.” I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Let’s go eat. I’m hungry” I said in a slow quiet voice. I knew Claude liked it when I talked like that. If I can just get Claude’s mind on a new subject I can get away from this conversation. Claude put his hands on my hips, and pulled me to him. I might just get away with this. He brought his face down to my neck and gave me a couple kisses.