Chapter ~~11

LUCAS

            That Friday I began my classes at the Myx Institute of New York. I found that I had a class with Navia. She watched me as I walked in the door. She made no move to come to me. I sat in a seat two behind hers. She occasionally would look back at me but once she saw that I was looking at her she looked away. As soon as the class ended Navia rushed out of the door. Why is she avoiding me? The rest of the day passed and I didn’t see her again until dinner. I was leaning against a wall staring at her back. She sat with some girls and Claude. A Myx with long light red hair and hazel eyes came over to me. She was average and the power inside her was weak. A waste of my time.

            “Hello Lucas” she said. “My name is Sandra, and I would like to welcome you to the Institute.” She smiled at me. I merely looked at her. “It is a great honor for this institute to have you here. All these other Demons are boring.” I chuckled. She is obviously sucking up to me. For what I am not sure. Her eyes brightened at the sound of my chuckle. “I was wondering if you would like to sit with me, and I could tell you everything about this institute.”

            “If it so pleases you.” I followed her to an empty table. I sat down, and she sat down next to me. We had a view of the whole dining hall. She began to go on about trivial things I had no interest in. I paid little attention and only answered when I had to.

            ‘Navia, Sandra is sitting over there chatting up Lucas’ I heard from across the room. (Demons have excellent senses. Our senses are heightened one hundred times compared to that of humans.) My mind focused in on it as soon as I heard her name. I saw that she and basically the whole table has turned to look over at us. Navia stared at me, her eyes blazing. Is she happy or furious? She got up from her seat. I am about to find out. ‘Navia where are you going?’ I heard the same voice ask. Yes where indeed. I watched as she navigated her way over to where Sandra and I sat. She stopped and stood in front of our table.

            “Can I help you unworthy?” Sandra asked rudely.

            “I need to speak with Lucas for just a second.” She smiled at Sandra, a smile I had never seen from her before. It was aggressive and territorial. Ah, that is my Navia.

            It seemed that Navia and Sandra’s little dispute was starting to gain and audience. Myxs were focused on the two girls, and many were straining themselves to hear what was being said.

            “Um, we’re talking. You’re just going to have to wait. Go back to Claude, I’m sure he misses you already. It’s been what a minute, I’m sure he’s feeling abandoned.” She sneered at Navia with a triumphant look.

            “Why don’t you go to…oh wait you don’t have anyone.” Is this what they call a cat fight because it is very entertaining? Sandra’s face began to turn red.

            I saw her lips open but I cut her off before another word could be said. “I think it best I see what Navia wants.” I rose from my seat. “Show me the way Navia. I am yours.” I looked in her eyes and saw the warmth in them.

            She turned and headed out the door. Before I walked out the door I turned and saw Claude staring at me. I gave him a triumphant smile and his eyes clouded. He is furious and I love it. Navia led me a little down the hall and then turned to face me.

            “Lucas we need to talk.”

            “I believe I was the one to say that yesterday and you basically ran away from me.” She looked down guilty and I hated myself for it. I was letting my anger towards Claude get the best of me. “Navia I am sorry I do not want to make you feel guilty. I just want to talk with you. There are things between us that need straightening out.” I cupped her cheek in my hand. For a second she closed her eyes and leaned her head against my hand. She looks so happy. I can always keep you happy lover. If only you could see it. Then it was like she woke up and she swatted my hand away.