Chapter Forty

TANYA'S POV

"Mommy..." I huriedly wiped my tears away when I heard Therese calling me. I couldn't help but cry as I pack away some of the things he left. Nagmamadali kasi siyang umalis at marami pa siyang naiwan na gamit. Ang ibang mga damit niya, ang pabangon niya, lahat ng bagay na magpapaalala sa kanya. "Mommy, what are you doing with Daddy Wayne's things?"

I swallowed back my tears and tried to compose myself. "I—I need to give his things back to him."

"Why? Isn't he going to come back?" Therese pouted.

"Hindi na babalik dito si Wayne. He has his own home. Tumira lang siya dito panandali to help us adjust in our new home." I explained.

"But he promised... he promised he'd make make me a treehouse. He's not done with it yet."

"Huwag kang mag-alala, sa iba na lang natin ipatatapos ang treehouse mo."

"NO! I don't want anyone else to finish the treehouse! I only want Daddy Wayne!" She folded her arms over her chest and her eyes began to water with tears

"Therese..." Sinubukan ko siyang hawakan pero mabilis siyang umiwas sa akin.

"Can't you make him go back?" She began to cry and sob.

Tears stung my eyes too as I shook my head. Sana nga ganun kadali lang iyon. God knew how bad I wanted to be with him. I had never loved another man like I loved him. Ilang taon akong nangulila sa kanya ngunit sa pangalawang pagkakataon ay nawala ulit siya sa akin.

I couldn't blame him for getting tired of me. Hindi niya kasalanan na napagod na siya na maghintay. Maybe I really didn't deserve him. Siguro nga may ibang mas karapat-dapat sa pagmamahal niya. Mahal na mahal ko si Wayne, alam ko sa sarili ko iyon. Kahit ilang taon na ang lumipas hindi nagbago iyon. But Therese and George needed me. Hindi ko silang pwedeng talikuran.

Tumakbong umiiyak palabas si Therese. Lumabas ako para aluhin siya at nakita kong nakakandong siya kay George at umiiyak.

"Why is my little girl crying? What's the matter?" George asked her.

"I want to see Daddy Wayne..." She sobbed.

Nag-angat ng tingin si George sa akin at nag-tama ang mga mata namin. I could see the hurt that flashed across his eyes.

"Therese, halika nga dito." I motioned for her to come to me.

"No!" She firmly said and jumped off George's lap and ran to her room.

"She misses Wayne..." George sighed and massaged his temples. "I had never seen her that upset, Tanya. She found in him the father that I can't be."

Dahan-dahan kong nilapitan si George at tahimik na umupo sa tabi niya. "George, ano ka ba? Don't say that... She's just having a tantrum."

"But it's true. She's at that age where she needs a father the most and I'm not there for her."

"She's going to be okay. Someday she'll understand that everything you're doing is for her."

"For her and for you, Tanya. I want you and Therese to have a good future. I don't want you to experience again what you went through and I don't want Therese to experience the same thing." He sighed.

"Hindi mararanasan ni Therese iyon hangga't nandito ako. Mahal ko si Therese. I'll protect her, I'll give her my life if I have to." I said.

George smiled but his eyes said otherwise. "I know that and she's lucky for having you. I'm lucky for having you. Thank you for always understanding."