Tremaine began driving, avoiding the radio as he often did when he gave me rides home. Usually we'd be too busy talking to even notice the radio.

This was no different.

"I hope Troiann and Marcus don't kill each other this summer," I said, thinking of my best friend. Marcus wouldn't say it but his face showed the hurt whenever she'd pull away. He wasn't mad about her "new lovers" comment, he was being playful when he'd picked her up, but still.

"I know. I've never been the type to care about love and relationships, but that's my boy and I support him. If it's real for him with Troy, then I respect it. I guess it just takes the right girl to stop playing around for."

When it came to the Ballas' Club, he was right. It would take a special girl to make each boy quit playing hard.

"You're right about that," I agreed.

Tremaine glanced at me, actually appearing serious. "I mean it. I think you're a prime example of what I'm talking about. You and Troy. I'm sure all four of us do shit y'all don't agree with, but neither of you really nag about it or try to change us. Troy got Marc sprung without lifting a finger and then there's you."

I waited, wondering what he meant by that.

"I never pay attention to a lot of girls in our class, because half of them don't stand out. You do. You're smart, witty, sexy when you want to be, and you don't try. There's nothing boring about you. Even when we weren't even cool I thought you were different. I think it was the hair."

He made me laugh at that. "Gee, thanks, Trey."

"Nah, I'm serious. I guess I'm really glad we're friends, Cree. You make me wanna be a better guy someday to get a girl as dope as you."

"You mean it?" I asked as he pulled into the diner's parking lot beside DeAndre.

"Yeah, just don't tell anyone, I got a rep to keep." He winked at me as he turned the engine off and got out of the car.

Ugh. Ballas.

We all grabbed a booth inside and read over the menus. It appeared that we weren't the only ones who had ditched school because there were definitely other students in the establishing, filling the place.

Our waitress came over, her nametag reading Nina. With her hair gelled up in a tight bun and her bored brown eyes peering at us, I knew she had to be a few years older than us. She licked her thumb, her bright red lipstick not smudging for a second, and she flipped a page in her pad.

Nina eyed us lazily. "So what'll y'all have?"

We gave her our individual orders and she hurried off to turn them in and retrieve our drinks.

Troiann sat across the table from me all snuggled up with Marcus. He looked elated to have his arm around her and to be so close to her.

"I think I'm going to miss you two the most this summer," I said. "Just don't go having no babies while I'm gone, okay?"

Troiann waved me off. "I ain't having no kids until I'm nice and married, Cree. You know my momma gave me her last name and I ain't for having a family that don't match."

With Anh and Mr. Jackson never officially married and Troy's having her mother's last name, she hated it.

I raised my glass of Sprite. "Here's to your marriage then, Troy."

Chris raised his glass and cheered them on. "And here's to your prenup!"

Troiann's lip curled up. "No prenup."