Chapter thirty-eight

            That night, Hailie and Laney went to a local school party at the lakes, Whitney went to a friend’s house for the night and Ronnie was home. I sat nervously in the kitchen sipping some red wine I hide from Marshall, trying to put together today’s events. I couldn’t hide my expression from Marshall, I got away with Ronnie but I wasn’t sure with Marshall. At seven, Marshall came through the door quietly, hanging his coat up and his hat.

            He came into the kitchen giving a small, “Hi.” “Hi” I said, coldly back, putting my hand to my head.

He turned from the refrigerator and asked what was wrong. “Tina was murdered today in my old office” I whimpered, feeling another set of tears coming from my eyes.

“What” Marshall asked in disbelief, “Someone must’ve mistaken her for me and they murdered her in my old office” I cried, falling into Marshall’s arms.

            Marshall cradled me tightly, “Shh…shhh…it’s ok…you are alright now…everything will be fine” he said softly. Marshall pulled a chair up, as I laid my head on his shoulder.

“Why didn’t you call me, you could’ve came to the studio…” he asked. “I didn’t know what to do, your studio was across town and I was afraid…” I cried.

“Then I stopped at the diner for lunch and Vincent came in…” I said, “Vincent?” “Yeah, he was someone I knew in high school…” I said. “We talked and when he started talking about you…I got annoyed and when I tried to leave he kissed me” I said.

            Marshall’s eyes widen and his expression was emotionless. He got a piece of paper from his pocket and showed it to me. It was a wrinkled up picture from People’s Magazine with Vincent and I on the cover with the caption reading,

“Natalia is quick with new men!”

Marshall leaned back into the chair and asked, “Is that Vincent?” coldly. I nodded my head, thinking how could that picture be taken without me noticing. Across the street there are no bushes or trees to hide behind. How would this been taken, from the angle I’m sitting I could’ve noticed anybody.

            “How long have you and…him?” he said, softly. “What?” I asked. “Oh come on, Natalia…you know what I mean, your new office…” his voice rose.

“No, I don’t…” I said, frustrated, I began to think what he was thinking. “You wouldn’t think I would go out with this man do you?!” I said.

“Depends…what he is planning for you next…” he said, giving me a look. I placed my hand on Marshall’s cheek,

“Marshall I would never do that to you…” forcibly he removed my hand, grinding his teeth, “Don’t touch me.” I was frightened by his actions it was a new side of him that I’ve never seen. And at the moment, I figured fight fire with fire.

            “Fine!” I said, pushing my seat back to the floor, rushing to my bag pulling out the millions of magazines with his face on it, seating them in front of him.

“You have some explaining to do!” I said, he chuckled, “I don’t have to explain shit to you!” “Yes you do!” I said,

“No, I don’t!” “Marshall, what has happened to you…don’t you think I don’t notice what is wrong…now I’m your wife and I love you if you need help I will help you!”

            Marshall slammed his fist into the table, “How could you do this to me?!” he said, holding the paper in front of my face.

“I thought you loved me! I opened myself to you and look what you did!” He screamed. His voice scaring me to the point where I wanted to run away, I stood my ground firmly showing I wasn’t afraid, no matter how shaky I was.

            “I didn’t do anything to you!” I shouted. “Do you really believe this? This dude has been following me around and-“

“Ah! Dude, do you hear yourself you sound like a friggin child!” he shouted. “If you would just listen to me!” I cried.

“No, Natalia…I know what I’m seeing! You got what you want from me!” he said. I couldn’t understand what he was saying.

“Marshall, he is an old high school rival who I’ve hated since day one, he wanted to publish a book under my company we dined him and he won’t leave me alone!” “He is like obsessed with me, please honey you have to believe me!” I begged.

            “And you are occusing me of using drugs! Are you crazy?!” he shouted. I knew there was no getting through to him.

“Yeah, I’m, Marshall!” I shouted back.

“You are fucking lier!” he shouted. “Well, you are fucking drug addicted!” I shouted back.

“Yeah, well fuck you!”

“Fuck you!” I said, walking away. “Where you going!” he said, pulling me by the arm. He lost his grip as I ran upstairs to the bedroom.

            I cried hysterically for hours, throwing up at times, feeling the need to throw myself out of the window. Only to realize I have neglected my son who could be hiding from his own parents right now. Slowly I tip-toed to his room to find him sound asleep, he must’ve slept through the whole fight.

            Strolling silently back to my room, I causally scanned the pictures of our family. Marshall and Ronnie in the fall teaching him how to throw a baseball, Hailie and him seeing her off to prom, and us together posing for a husband and wife photo. The last photo was all of us together on a casual day; Ronnie was only two years old. I removed the picture from the wall, and hugged it closely to my chest, wishing so hard to return to that day. When I opened my eyes, I was still standing in the dark hallway only the empty silence to comfort me.

            I looked at the picture again, anazling Marshall, how he glowed as he smiled. Another stream of tears began to pour from my eyes as I got to my knees. I crawled to the bedroom with the picture in my hand and into the bed. Holding it closely to me, crying for another two hours, wishing I could go back to the night before I met Mr. Bilback and tell my old self the life that was about to unfold.

            Occasionally I starred at the picture tracing my finger across the images of my family. The empty silence was soon interrupted by the sound of my cell-phone.

“Hello” I said, clearing my voice.

“Honey, it’s mom what is going on?”

“N-nothing”

“Natalia, you are lying what happened.” After I told her the story, and the events that led to it, her first reaction was file for a divorce, but I still loved Marshall. I loved him deeply and I had a son through him. It pained my mother that I did not obey her, but she understood what I meant.

            “The only thing we all can do as a family is talk to him, Vincent Tomas is a zycie szkodnikiem…he ruins lives for a living…remember Lorena Gudio? Remember she was in therapy for three months because of that ass…I don’t know why he is bothering with you but something is not right…he is up to something…and you ought to watch it! Don’t let Detroit soften you! Your father would have it with you if he knew that!”

            My mother was right and tomorrow I will talk to Marshall inviting his mother and father along with Hailie, Laney and Whitney since now they are adults. When my turmoil is done with Marshall Vincent Tomas will be back on a plane to Newark even if it means stalling him in the cargo area tied up! With that I fell asleep.

--

Let's all take a moment and breath that could tramatize anyone! Trust me, it tramatized me and I wrote this!