Chapter twenty-four

Chapter twenty-four

            I laid next to Marshall and gently curled under his arms. The cool November air made me cuddle under the covers with him and the sound of crickets played softly. Everything was peaceful and soft. Marshall laid his head on my chest pulling me closer to him. We both lied awake in the bed but with our eyes shut.

            The entire house was quiet and soft. Marshall’s body heat was the right temputure that I can cuddle too. 

I moaned softly, “Mmm”. A small smile appeared on my lips. I use to dream about times like this. What I would’ve gave to lay next to Eminem on nights like this. When I was little and afraid of the boogyman what I would give for Marshall to chase him away and tell me things will be ok. Now that I’m married to him, I look forward to sleep and I’m not afraid of the pitch black anymore.

            “You awake, sweetie?” he whispered. “A little, I just…have my eyes closed”.

“Growing up…I would give anything to hold you like this…when I was a little girl I use to be afraid of the dark…” I said.

Marshall giggled, “You, afraid of something, I find that hard to believe”.

“My parents did everything to try make me sleep in my own bed and one night I thought of you and I simply fell asleep”.

Marshall chuckled, “I’m glad I was there for you, mommy, now try to sleep”, kissing my cheek.

Marshall coldly turned on his side, leaving me back on my side. Marshall would’ve gave anything to sleep with me in his arms. Sadly I turned into my side and fell asleep.

--

“Good morning Detroit! It is 7AM November 28th…today weather will be in the 50s, traffic will be heavy-“  Marshall smacked the alarm off and cuddled under my arms.

“Honey, come on wake up” he kissed me as he crawled out of bed. I was too comfortable under the covers to move.

“Mmm, no” I giggled playfully, hoping he’ll crawl into bed and kiss me again.

“Come on, Talia” said Marshall, annoyed. He has done it before, even if he sounded annoyed. He will come into bed and kiss me.

“I will stay in bed until you kiss me again” I giggled. Marshall didn’t react, “Come on, I know you want too” I teased.

            I sat up in bed, my eyes wide open as I searched the empty room for Marshall. “Marshall?” I questioned. My heart broke, I can’t figure out my own husband anymore.

“But dad, I don’t want to go to school…” Ronnie groaned loudly. He shuffled pass the bedroom as he rubbed his tired eyes, Marshall followed closely behind.

            Then it hit me, its Marshall’s turn to get the kids to school. It’s just as I thought. My heartache eased as I got out of bed to get Hailie up. She has kept her distance with Marshall since Thanksgiving. And I think they are overdue for sit down and talk. Hailie was doing her hair when I walked in.

            “You getting ready, kiddo?” I asked. “Yeah, just a few more minutes” she said, struggling to braid her hair.

“You know daddy is taking you to school…” I said, folding my arms; standing in the doorway.

“Yeah”

“Honey, you have to talk to him sometime, it’s tearing him up inside and out” I said. She stood in front of me, her head held low and her eyes as well.

“Let me see how things go at school…if I see it didn’t affect me I will talk to him” she said. I pushed her back into the room,

“What you mean how it will affect you?” I exclaimed. “Sweetie, I got news for you, it three years whatever your friends think now anit gonna matter! The thing that will is your self-respect and your father!”

It was the first time I yelled at Hailie and now she hates me.

--

            As Marshall took the kids to school I went to work. I left my schedule for Marshall in case he needed me and times when the kids get out for the day. It was a rough morning and I hope not a rough work day. Everybody at work seemed sluggish and slow, no doubt from coming back from Thanksgiving.

            I sat at my desk, listening through voice mails and reviewing old paper work from the holidays. My eyes caught a glimpse of my wedding photo. My baby bump didn’t show at the time and I was able to fool people with my figure. It was the one photo Marshall really did smile in. His face glow and his eyes glistened as if he was cracking up laughing.

            My fingers caressed his picture as if there was something missing from Marshall today. It was unsettling in my stomach. A piece of me was missing. I don’t know why it was. With Marshall I always felt complete even before I knew him.

            There was a knock at the door, “Talia” Tina asked, slipping through the door.

“Yea, come in Tina” I said. 

“How was your Thanksgiving?” She asked pleasantly holding folders in her arms, against her chest.

“Oh, Laney came home…” I said. “Oh that’s good!”

“Yeah, my mother-in-law over cooked the turkey, I found out I will be spending Christmas with my senial aunt and my husband violently threw my daughter’s now ex-boyfriend out!” I said sarcastically.

“Oh my, sounds like Thanksgiving with Al Bundy” said Tina.

“Sweetie, Al Bundy didn’t give a shit I do”.

            Tina placed the folders on the desk. “Marshall’s been acting so strange…I don’t know…his moods” I said putting the folders aside.

“Eminem has always been…moody” said Tina.

“I’m not married to Eminem, I’m married to Marshall Mathers” I said. I held my head up with my palm, feeling exhausted without doing much.

“Still he is Eminem” said Tina.

“I don’t know…Tina you worked for me for four years now…be honest with me…” Tina leaned in closely willing to answer my questions.

“Do you think Marshall is on drugs again?” My heart raced and a hint of fear of the answer was in my voice.

“As an insider looking in…I say he is struggling with something”.

“Struggling?”

“Yeah, when someone goes clean, the urge to use never goes away it will always be a battle with him”.

            I got up from my chair, sighing as I put the files away. “I love my husband a lot, if he is using or struggling I just hope he knows he can come to me…it’s the only logical thing to do” I said.

“When do men ever think logical?” She giggled. The phone began to ring, “Will you answer that, please?” I asked.

Tina picked up the phone, “Owls Publishing Company, this is Tina speaking, how can I help you?”  Her face turned pale and her smile vanished.

“It’s the police there has been an accident at Hailie’s school”.

            My heart suddenly dropped and all sorts of emotions ran through me. I was panicking, upset and angry. My hands were shaking and I suddenly forgot to breath. When you hear the words ‘police’ ‘accident’ and your child in the same sentence; it has to be the most frightening feeling in the world. I quickly grabbed my stuff and rush downtown.