Chapter eighteen

Chapter eighteen

            “Yeah, ma I told you, you can stay at the house and sleep in the office…” “The couch pulls out…” I said, putting away some files. It was three days before Thanksgiving. The family was gathering at my house. It was rather exciting. I never cooked Thanksgiving for fifteen people…and I will never do it again.

            “Into a futon, ma” I said, with age comes stubborn with my mother. “Well, I don’t know honey, why can’t we just share a bed with Ronnie?” she asked.

“Because the last time you and Nelson slept in bed with Ronnie he couldn’t move for a week!” I said, sitting down.

“Well, anyway, how are things holding up with Marshall?” She asked.

“Nothing really out of the ordinary…moody sometimes but who isn’t with this weather” I said, sipping ice tea. “The kids learn how to ignore this…” I said.

            Too be honest I was a nervous wreck with Marshall. The press is pounding him with this drug deal and honestly it’s making me question him. I try every day for my family to press on and see if Marshall comes out with it. It has long pass with Ronnie as he loves his father too much.

            “Um, Talia?” said Tina. I put the phone to my shoulder, “There is someone here to see you” said Tina.

“Is it an early turkey dinner with extra gravy” I asked.

“Um, no…” Vincent came in quietly.

I groaned, “Ahh, I was close…it’s a chicken wuss”.

            “Ma, let me call you later, ok…yes…yes you’ll be the best gift to them ok…bye-bye…bye”. I hung up the phone slowly.

“What you want, Vincent” I asked, dreading that he is here.

“You texted me last night, remember?” Not remembering I made a face trying to remember if I did amounst being a mother of four and wife.

            “Oh yes, come in” I said, gesturing for him to sit. He shyly made his way to my chair in front of my desk.

“Was that your mom?” he asked. “Yes”.

“Ah, how is she…since your dad died?” Trying so hard not to think of my father I pulled out a file.

“Business first…” I said, placing the file down.

“Then pleasure…” he placed his hand on mine. It was insulting. Coldly, I pulled my hand away.

            “Don’t do that again” I said sternly. Casually I opened his file that was about his book, which for him I begged my bosses to read. It so happened that it was approved. In a way, I was happy but after that inapporiate gesture I will say he was denied and so he can go home.

            His shy vulnerable face turned hard and cold as I pulled my hand away. “How’s the family?” he asked, crossing his one leg over the other and gripping his fingers against his knuckles.

“Fine” I said. My heart suddenly pounded out of my chest, rapidly as I tried coolly to take out his files.

            “Talia about what I said in the mall…” he said. I scoffed, it was exactly what I was afraid of.

“Vincent, no” I growled.

“No, I know you, you thought I was joking but I really, really do like you” he said, sweetly.

I scoffed again, almost trying to tame my heated temper.

“You see, when you were with Will Durann, I would’ve given anything to be that man… to have a fine women like you” said Will. I was speechless for a moment.