Chapter sixteen

Chapter sixteen

            Whitney and I decided to go to the mall that day ourselves. Ronnie and Marshall went to the movies. My worries of Marshall using drugs were clearly out of my mind now and things were normal again. As Whitney and I carried our small bags down the huge mall I noticed a small convenient stand with magazines all in which had Marshall’s face on it. My heart suddenly sunk as I tried to avert Whitney from them.

            My worries suddenly reappeared when they were new headlines. I had to get out of here, but Whitney was having such a good time.

“Mom, can I go with Jake and Hailie?” asked Whitney. I wasn’t too keened on leaving Whit alone in the mall with Jake and Hailie, especially when I had no control of what they see.

            “Um, let’s stay together kind of crowded for a Saturday” I said, nervously. Whitney didn’t object but she had a look of annoyce I can understand if it wasn’t for the situation I would let her go in an instant. My eyes wonder to a colorful department called, “Kids Craze” the colors distracted me.

“Well hello, Talia” a smooth voice said, sending me the extreme chill of coldness down my spine. I gripped my fist as I tried to hold my poster. I turned around to find Vincent standing behind me. He wore a forest green hoodie with a black V-neck underneath and with a silver cross.

Realizing Whitney was standing there I had no choice but to act like a human being who is a mother of four.

“Well, hello Mr. Tomas” I said, “What brings you to the mall?” I said, controlling my tone.

“Shopping, like you”. I acted as though Whitney wasn’t with me, now I regret not sending her off with her sister.

“Ah! This must be little Whitney” said Vinny.

“Fuck!” I mouthed.

            Whitney looked at him as if he had lobster crawling out of his ears.

 “Whitney, baby why don’t you go off with your sister” I said. Without hesitation Whitney left, taking her cell-phone out to text Hailie no doubt. It’s time to be bad-ass Natalia.

“Cute kid” Vinny said.

“She is not a kid…what are you doing here?” I whined.

“Same as you…shopping” said Vinny.

“Where is Mr. Relapse?” That statement made me so angry. “How dare you talk about my husband like that” I growled. My body started to shake violently. A single tear ran down my face.

            Vincent’s menacing smile began to fade once he saw my tear. “Natalia, wait I’m sorry” he said, sincerely. I quickly wiped the tear away.

“You insulted the man of my child” I grumbled. I could punch Vincent now. As if things weren’t bad enough. Being the bigger person I walked away.

            “Natalia, wait!” Vincent grasped my arm; I pulled away.

“Tell me Vincent, why are you such a jerk huh? Ever since high school I was your own punching bag even when you knew the situation I was in with my family and considering who my father was…”

“May God rest his soul” Vincent mumbled.

            I cooled my temper, “Stay away from my office and the building, and stay away from my family”.

“Natalia give me a chance to explain”. I could’ve just walked away, knowing Vincent he would’ve left Detroit.

“The reason why I picked on you all those years is because…” he put his head down, “I liked you”. His reason shocked me.

“When I heard you were married to Eminem I got angry”. Vincent Tomas liking me, well it does explain a lot.

            Vincent looked vulnerable and childlike as he stood in front of me with his defenses down. But it doesn’t take away what he did to me all those years. And it is also kind of creepy how many times I broke this creep’s nose and he still likes me.

“Look, Vince, you are a…” not cool and not even nice. “A de…well guy…but I love Marshall. You above people know how much I love him even before I meet him…I have children with him…I’m sorry you should go back to Jersey”.

            “Well, the reason why I’m also here is because of my book…” he said.

“Yeah, I read a couple of pages…its good” I gritted, smiling. “So, will you publish it?” Vincent showed a beam of hope.

“It is not my place…it is up to my bosses” I said. Silence filled us it was now the time to walk away.

            When I was about to walk the other way, “Hey” Vincent said, I growled under my breath as I turned around.

“If things get tough if Eminem is using again…you have my number…give me a call” he said. I gave a smile and continued to walk away.

--

Marshall’s P.O.V

            The movie did not take my mind off the burning sensation I felt to use. I fidgeted in my seat hoping Ronnie wasn’t noticing. My heart beat loud enough to block out the movie. Even with the air conditioner on I couldn’t stop sweating. Ronnie was fixed on the movie that he didn’t notice the suffering. Why is this happening to me now?

            I leaned over to Ronnie, “I’ll be right back, I’m going to the bathroom” I whispered. Ronnie nodded as I started to climb out of my seat. I rushed out the door, speeding to the bathroom. When I was in the bathroom I closed the door, I paced back and forth nervously trying to escape the burning to use again.

            I sat in the stall, with my head in my hands, jiggling my leg up and down. I tried so hard to push the feeling back. It scared me, I tried so hard to resist. I won’t let this ruin my life.

“Please stop it” I cried to myself. “Oh please God…” I cried. The ring of my cell-phone broke through my cries.

Natalia: Hey, hope everything is going ok! How’s the movie? Does Ronnie like it? The girls and I are home. I’ll see you later. Love you.

            A smile came onto my face and the burning sensation subsided. I only realized I left my nine year old son alone in the theatre. I quickly rushed out of the bathroom and dashed to the theater and pop back into my seat. Ronnie didn’t even notice I was there. I sat back and enjoyed the rest of the movie.