I knew Julio had a crush on her and would do anything to protect. He had grown quite a bit over the summer and was more then equipped to take care of her if he ever needed to. Even if he was only fourteen years old.

Julio and Sonia had known each other since we first moved here six years ago. Over the years he started to develop a crush on her. I don't think Sonia ever notice, or even returned the same feelings. Which is odd considering the fact that just about every girl in our block thought Julio was cute, but she just didn't seem to like him like that.

''Hey familia.'' Julio yells as he comes in, his voice had began to change so it cracks slightly at the word 'familia'.

''Hey Julio!'' Sonia walks up to him to do there usual weird complicated handshake they had developed once they became friends.

''Okay lovebirds lets get going.'' I say sending Julio a wink. He smiles at me while Sonia just rolls her eyes. We walk to the bus and when we get off I wave Sonia and Julio off and head to my school on the better side of the area.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When I arrive, I spot my two best friends, Courtney and Allison. ''Hey guys.'' I greet them.

''Omg! Anna guess what?'' An overexcited Courtney asks. I was used to her being overexcited about things enough to know she only got like this when A) There was really good gossip or B) There was really good gossip involving someone she despised. I secretly nicked named her gossip girl in my head because of this very reason.

''What?'' I ask, amused.

''Samantha Nickerson finally got her ass dumped by Josh." She answers with an evil laugh.

Courtney's had a crush on Josh since freshman year and they were really close until him and Samantha hooked up and she wouldn't let him hang out with Courtney anymore. Samantha was a sort of Queen Bee at our school and what she said went.

''Oh really why?'' I ask, not really interested but knowing Courtney would still tell me.

Courtney smirked and looked smug ''She cheated on him with none other than Evan Andrews.''

Evan Andrews was among the boys of our school who were known as the heart breakers, man-whores, or whatever you want to call them. I made a disgusting face at his mention, Courtney's grin widened

''I think for once I can say I'm glad Evan is such a man-whore" Courtney's smile makes her princess like features look devilish.

''So how did Josh find out?'' I ask, more than anything wanting to just keep the conversation going so she doesn't ask about my summer.

''Over the summer someone saw Samantha coming out of Evans house and told Josh'' she answers smiling.

"Idiot!" she screams laughing after. "Like, hello, we live in the twenty first century with social media. That shit is bound to spread."

''Wow, I can't imagine how Josh feels. I mean him and Courtney were together since freshman year and then to have her cheat with one of the jerks of the school." says Allison unexpectedly.

Courtney's face immediately loses all humor and smugness. She frowns darkly.

"I know. I mean what kind of stupid idiot goes and trades up someone like Josh for someone like Evan Andrews." she sneers at his name.

The one thing I never understood about Courtney was how she could she still be so loyal to someone who practically dumped their friendship for popularity.

''I don't know, Court, I mean Josh isn't that great either. He did leave you for her, didn't he? Didn't even have the back bone to stand up to Samantha.'' I say then once I see how hurt her face looks I add, ''Which proves karma's a bitch. I mean to trade you for someone like Samantha Nickerson." I make a face at her name.

She smiles sadly and says, "Yeah I know. I guess I always made myself believe she would have made our lives horrible if he didn't listen.''

''Well if he were really your friend he wouldn't have listened.''

I said I didn't think to highly of Evan, but Josh wasn't that much better. I felt the need to defend him, even if that did sound ridiculous. When I first came here Evan was the first person I met after stumbling to find my classroom. At first when I saw him I was taken aback by his beauty with his blond hair and captivating blues eyes that I couldn't help but stare.

Once I met Courtney and Alison and asked them about him they told me all about his reputation so I kept away from him. The last thing I needed was someone like him while I was trying to work hard.

''Yeah guess you're right.'' Courtney says bring me back to the present.

I hated to see her sad but she needed to know so she should stay away and save herself a heartbreak. My friends may not truly know me but I knew them and I didn't want to see either get hurt.

We walk to the front of the schools entrance and quickly make our way to our lockers. Private school lockers were a lot better then public school lockers since they didn't have writings on them from their previous owners. That was another good thing about going to a private school, though they could do without the uniforms.

It's not like they were bad just too formal for me, considering where I lived. Walking down the street in these kind of clothes screamed ''Rich'' something I definitely wasn't and if not for my cousin I would have gotten jumped everyday by the neighborhood thugs.

Since he was part of the crew they did what he said, he wasn't in a gang, it was more of groups of hooligans who fooled around. I know my cousin would never be in anything like that, not since his dad died because of it. However, that didn't stop the girls he hung around with not to hate me or maybe not hate but definitely have a distaste of me.

''There he is.'' whispers Courtney in my ear, pulling me out of my reverie.

I turn to see it's Evan walking through the doors, a smirk on his lips when he sees Josh and his friends.

His smug appearance obviously meant he was proud of what he'd done and even had the nerve to rub it in. Before Josh could react to Evan the bell rang and we all left to our first period class.

--------------

I enter my AP Lit class and pass by the front to get a seat when I hear the most annoying voice ever.

''Hey Anna.'' calls Damien Preston from behind me.

Ever since I got my scholarship and came here during freshman year, Damien along with other guys took an interest in me. I knew they were only interested because I was a change from the usual. I think it primarily had to do with me being one of the few Latinas at the school.

Though Damien wasn't bad looking, I knew if I started a relationship with anyone here it would be even more complicated to hide my true life.

Aside from that, some girls that were used to guys falling over them approached me because they saw me as one of them but I think they just wanted to keep me close and make sure I didn't "steal" their boyfriends.

I only hung out with them on occasions when I needed distracting from my home. Courtney and Alison were my only true friends but that didn't mean I was willing to let them into my life.

Although I didn't associate with gangs, I figured that rich white kids like Courtney and Damien would automatically assume I did given their lack of knowledge about "the hood"

"Hey Damien.'' I manage a smile and don't let my discomfort show. I was different here then I was at home, I was nice and quiet but sometimes it was hard to contain my fiery self.

Before he could answer, the bell rings and the teacher walks in so we are  forced to sit down. I breath a sigh of relief. Just when the teacher is about to start the lesson, in comes through the door Evan Andrews.

Late. As always.

-*^-

If you got past this horrible first chapter congrats! Please don't stop if you thought this was awful, I promise I get better:)

Picture of Damien at the side.