[Chapter Twenty Eight]

Start from the beginning

"Got it." I survey the tray and take the food I ordered and an extra hash brown or two since they're just sitting there.

"Ava and Archer are coming over this morning, they can have breakfast too," he adds.

"At least the food won't go to waste then," I point out.

Picking up my knife and fork, I dive into my already buttered pancakes and fruit. I change between the fruit and the pancakes – which is kind of weird going from something hot and buttery opposed to something cold and crisp. Since I started recording music, my appetite has gone through the roof. All this use of energy is making me really hungry.

I'm about halfway through my meal when another person knocks on the door. I grab the napkin off the table and wipe my face before turning to open the door and Ava and Archer are waiting.

He's dressed in his usual black slacks and collared shirt, along with his angry game face. While Ava is wearing blue jeans and a flowing layered white shirt and brown boots. Her hair is tied up into a ponytail and a clip board ticked under her arm.

Despite Archer's intimidating appearance, Ava is the one who manages to scare me the most. With her tight ponytail, she looks deadly serious and the kind who enforces the rules and unfortunately doesn't let them slide.

"Dad just ordered some breakfast if you want some," I offer.

Ava cracks half an amused smile and enters the room with Archer swiftly following behind. With two new people in my environment, I can't help but feel like an awkward duck stuck out in the middle of the pond by themselves. I don't know what to say to either of them.

Making friends with Alex seemed easier, I'd spent years listening to his music and following all of his interviews and social media accounts. But two strangers, I don't know what question to pop first. 'How's your morning?' or is that placed into the same category as weather?

"Make friends," he whispers, and then points to the two.

Rolling my eyes, I nod my head in agreement. I'm going to spend the next couple of months with them, might as well get to know the two. It isn't easy keeping a secret life, or a famous one either – I'm going to need people to confide in.

"Food?" I point to the tray.

I point out the plates and the cutlery before making myself cosy with my pancakes again.

"Thank you for the offer," starts Ava, "but I'll explain your schedule first. I have the whole day planned out." She enthusiastically smiles.

"Okay."

"Now, we have a tight schedule today because the record label wants to introduce more promoting methods and ideas to kick start your tour. We want it to be as successful as possible!" As Ava begins to explain the information and appointments, I find all the dates, names, and what I'm supposed to do flying over my head. Maybe she should just email me an itinerary, or print it out?

"And that's everything we have planned. Of course, there are a few pending requests, but I don't want to overload you. The first day of promotions and interviews can be tiring," explains Ava.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a single thing and I'm already exhausted just thinking about the list she's got. I need to sleep and focus on writing my songs, and I won't get the chance if I'm spending my whole day being shuffled in-between buildings and cameras. I don't think I clearly understood what this job required before agreeing to sign a contract.

"Is that everything for the day?" I ask.

"Yes." Nods Ava, "we're going to leave in twenty minutes, you should start getting ready."

I've already managed to finish my pancakes and eat a couple chunks of fruit, so I nod my head happily and place the knife and fork on the table. Scurrying off to my room, I close the door and lock it behind me. I want to feel safe without my mask on, and I don't want Ava wandering inside to discuss ideas and more events I'm supposed to attend. I want my room to be a happy and calming place.

Taking my mask off, I head straight to my bed and flop down and snuggle under the covers. I rest my eyes for a brief second and enjoy the calming feeling that overcomes me. I begin to think of outfit choices until the sound of someone assaulting my bedroom door pulls me away from my thoughts.

"It's time to leave," calls out Ava.

Grabbing my phone off the side desk, I notice that I've actually fallen asleep instead of briefly closing my eyes.

"I'm coming, just a minute," I lie.

Grabbing the biggest bag I own, I dash into the bathroom and start filling it with make-up, jewellery and other junk I may or may not need – who knows, I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Once I finish packing my bag, I search through my suitcase for something to wear. I fish out a white single shirt with the outline of a skull, a pair of black shorts with golden studs dotted around. As I change into my clothing, I chuck a pair of heel boots into my bag as well.

I grab a pair of large sunglasses and fluff my hair in front of my face for a bad disguise. I decide against it, and put my mask on and the sunglass over the top of the mask. I don't have time to do my eye make-up, and I don't want other people to see me without it on.

When I emerge from my room, I spot Ava pacing back and forth nervously and Archer happily chomping on crispy strips of bacon. Dad's sitting on the couch with a weird, annoyed look on his face.

"What took you so long?" he asks, "and why aren't you dressed properly?"

"I'm going to miss you so much when you leave!" I try to change the conversation. I don't really want to admit I fell asleep while I was supposed to be getting ready, I don't want him to bring in another ridiculous rule about changing with the door open.

"I'll miss you too." Dad gets up from the couch and gives me a hug. Despite disliking my parents on the occasion, I'll always miss them when I'm gone for too long. I tightly squeeze his body and try to remember the feeling. It's an odd thing saying goodbye, because he's the one always leaving.

"And before you know it, we'll all be here supporting you." It's not easy remembering you're all alone, at least that's what it feels like when my family isn't here.

"We need to leave, Riley," Ava says, breaking the moment between us.

Shaking off the feeling of being alone, I smile internally and to the three of them. It's the kind of smile that says, 'I'm ready', but I don't feel an inch like it.

The thought of saying goodbye makes me feel sick to the stomach. I don't want to have to say goodbye, it makes me feel like he's going forever.

"See you later." I smile.

"See you soon." He smiles back.

Grabbing my bag, I follow Ava and Archer out of the hotel room.

"What took you so long, Riley?" asks Ava.

I ignore her questions again and begin laying out the rules, "You can't call me that in public, it'll give my identity away. Instead, call me Sienna."

"Sorry, I'll try to remember that," she mutters with a nod of her head.

"Good to know you understand. Now I have an interview to attend, and make-up to put on." I brush past Ava and quickly follow Archer to the car, leaving a stunned Ava standing by the hotel door. It stings, but I don't want to be the puppet everyone else has become.