Parting Ball Epilogue Part 1

I didn't want to stop dancing with Mareena, she held onto me like some sort of life line,alas selfish couples poor onto the floor, Cal and Evangeline still twirl together, they look distastefully perfect, like someone plastic surgery results.

I grown when I notice a pair of blazing green eyes, it's that boy again. Mare's childhood friend, Kilorn, they had such an odd relationship, like to mama bears who each other as cubs. I had a faint flutter of jealousy that day I'd met him, but it seems the tables have turned. He motions to the corner of the dance floor, expecting something. Sure he's talking to me but he's looking at Mare. I didn't want to but, if I didn't this would get back to the scarlet guard and I'd be seen as even more trustworthy.

"Some refreshments?" Mare doesn't notice at first and waves him off, My satisfaction has about .9 seconds to build before her eyes widen.

"This thing itches," He says talking entirely to Mare.

"Well, you won't be in it much longer," This boy is extremely selfish, the way he was looking at mareena would have him hanged and Mare questioned. There were more important things to attend to "Is everything in place?"

"They're already upstairs." He sounds all knowing, like an ignorant genius.

"You just have to give the signal" He holds out the tray of nectar as if it wasn't illegal.

"Mare?" I hope she's ready, she's the most important person in the room at the moment. 

"I'm ready," her eyes look far away at nothing. I can tell this has her worried she takes a giant gulp of nectar. 

"One minute," Kilorn says solely talking to Mare he couldn't care less what happens to me. He snatches the glass from her hand and wanders off.

Mare begins walking off without a goodbye, I wanted to say something but she had more important things to focus on. 

It's wasn't hard to find mother, and even less to drag her away from the conversation she's in with some conversation with a bunch of lower house ladies that have bought their way in. She's obviously disinterested and board. As always Dad's sipping away at alcohol and just lets me pass by, Cal gives me a wink for some odd reason then trails his eyes to the middle of the room. I truly am starting to resent him, I haven't forgotten who was supposed to be in the center of the room. The cup he was holding sure looked like water since it was clear but you know what else was clear? Vodka! And guess who lately has been extremely stressed about his engagement Cal! 

But I didn't have time to ponder the fact that Cal was becoming more and more like our father as time went on, I had to do something  fast, and I was and that started tonight. "Mother!" I gasp reaching for her arm.

She glares

"I'm feeling a bit light headed, do you mind if I leave early? The main festivities are over" I whine 

She glares in her eyes but smiles for the court ladies around her "Sweetheart, you have duties that must be attended to there's no retiring early for someone of your status, "  Is what she says aloud but what she screams silently does actually make me light headed. 'Idiot, do you think I want to be here anymore then you do? It is your duty and as long as that big headed brother of yours is going strong, and even then you'll dance,"

"Poor lady Titanos, her first ball, and her mate wishes to leave, how dreadful. You're better than that Sir Maven, better get back to her before Tiberias beats you to it" She jokes, her eyes sliding towards the middle of the room. I follow her eyes to see no other than Cal smiling towards Mare and takes a few steps towards her.

"Excuse Me?" Mother says. Even I'm scared when the lights flash off,  terrified even when the gunshots ring out. I want to run and hide, I truly am a coward. I can't even move until someone places a death grip on my arm. "What is this?" Her voice is shriveled up and scared.