The Most Pointless Event Ever

I just wanted to be alone after my experience with Mother. Weak hearted? Just like him, like him. Him, I was my own person and Cal and I are not alike. Like I said I just wanted to be alone to sort things out, but that wasn't the case considering Father had finally approved of Cal's legion and he wanted to celebrate the fact his son was headed off to war. Like most fathers obviously. 

I wasn't necessarily sad he was going, I didn't know how to feel about it. Cal being gone would turn Dad's attention to allowing him to notice how utterly useless I was, he might even send me back to the front. My heart quickened at the thought No, not again, especially under his leadership. I'm 95% sure Cal is actually a cross between a gorilla and pure concentrated ignorance. Plus I couldn't leave Mare, she'd be eaten alive, or worse being brainwashed by the court. 

So here I was having anxiety, standing next to Cal on the terrace covered In medals we didn't earn. We trailed father as he actually moved for once walking around the terrace shaking hands with the sacrificial sheep, otherwise known as Cal's legion. I did what I always did during social conventions Moved my mouth slightly to look like I was conversing though no one cared enough to approach me. 

Before I know It Cal's wandered off to Mare standing awkwardly in a corner. I rolled my eyes trailing him a bit. She was my wife after all. I was bored so I trailed him  "Just because they've chosen to go doesn't make them any less brave," Cal says with a frown.  I was just about ready to give up on him, he really didn't understand empathy did he? While the red children were forced to go the slivers made a showcase of a few of their own heading to the front. Treat everyone well or don't treat them at all, something father and Cal didn't understand. 

"Well, I hope they enjoy their barracks and supplies and reprieves and all the things my brothers were never given," Mare throws back, Ohhhhh toasted! I was so proud of my little spark, roasted!

"This is the first completely sliver legion going to the trenches, They're going to fight with the reds, dressed as reds," Cal says proudly keeping his head held high. He was even more stupid than I thought, he's taking down about reds to a red raised girl if he expected admiration or sympathy he wasn't getting get.

"Original" Mare said coldly 

"You gave me the idea," I can tell Cal's disappointed at the lack of her amazement. She isn't a fool, this should've been a thing eons ago, which I brang up hoping to knock Ptrolemus Samos out of the court, with his frat boy remarks. It was turned down and I was given therapy for being vehemently barbaric for even suggesting putting my silver brethren in harm's way. Well, fuck you too uncle Samson. How was the I barbaric one when he showcasing his murderous whispering on first Fridays. But the second Cal suggests it, it's perfectly fine. 

Apparently, I missed something because Oliver has his hand's on Cal's shoulder "What's with the hiding, Cal? Next to the lakelanders, this bunch will be easy." A drunk teenage boy says into my brother's ear

Cal blushes "I'll take the lake landers any day," oh yeah Cal where were you when Thomas was being stabbed to death by one? That's right watching from afar as I screamed and kicked

"You're going with them?" Mare asks without emotion.

"Going? Cal's leading us! His own legion, all the way to the front."  Cal suddenly looks uncomfortable "he'll be the youngest general  in history and the first Prince on the line." Oliver says with a smile. I'm honestly worried about his education considering Cal and I both went to the line to fight, for like four years, and let's face it we all know who was the brains In that duo. 

"When?" I cock my eyebrows. Why had Mare's voice suddenly get small? Cal going to the front and dying would be good for the Scarlet guard, or was it? Seeing a silver prince lose his life for a war reds had been fighting for years, might make a statement about how things aren't that bad.

"When you leave for the capital, after the ball. You'll go south and I'll go north," Cal's voice quiets at the end like he's ashamed.

"With Cal on the lines, this war will finally be over. With Cal we can win," I always hated Oliver now I hated him even more. No one had even invited me to the front , sure I would've laughed in their faces but it still was nice to know you were wanted. no one ever said with Maven we can win, and no one would ever. Because, in the end, I was a coward.

Cal and Oliver had wandered off together  leaving Mare alone looking frazzled. A waiter just happened to be walking my way "Give me those," I said grabbing the two cups in his hand

"Easy there" I mutter to Mare, she looks as if she's about to fall over, She finishes the cup I give her in one swallow. "Still thinking about this morning? No one saw your face, I checked with the Sentinels," She couldn't be this spooked about Cal leaving, she had me now.

Mare's eye shift to Cal conversing with Dad. Father puts a hand around Cal smiling. I've never seen that look in his eyes, it was never directed at me. "He wanted to do this. It was his choice." It was classic Cal going up and above on everything, he was always rewarded that look the expression in his eyes that meant everything. I hope he dies. I didn't like that these thoughts plagued my head but I couldn't help it.

"It doesn't mean we have to like it," Mare murmurs sadness filling her eyes 

"My son the general!" Father's voice booms. So proud of his son going to fight a war no one cared about. It was no just an excuse to control red population. Strength in numbers was very much real and they feared it.Even's Mare's eyes were on him,always on him. I'm not even sure why I'm here, too look like the pathetic little brother who was a nothing.

First Of all, I wanna wish the Selection5 a very happy belated birthday. And for those of you who read my king's Cage fanfiction would you rather have the next Point of view be Mare, Kilorn, Or Cal's? I can't decide so might as well allow you guys too!