The Proposal

I was walking down the hallway towards the feasting room, yawning. I didn't get much sleep in the small period before the princes would propose to our new brides still trying to rap my head around the fact I was marrying a red, mother came to my room last night to assure me it was only temporary till we could dispose of her. 

I was sulking towards the feast we would be having to welcome the girls into the royal family. I began to slow as I caught Cal turning down a hallway, silently. I peered down to see him stop at a room that wasn't his own. 

He wore a faint smile "The color suits you" he said gesturing for someone to leave the room. Two maids scurried out.

"I'm sort of new to this whole royal thing, but i'm not sure you're supposed to be here. In my room." That voice it matched Mare's

Cal takes a few steps into the room against her wishes, apologizing "I came to apologize, something I can't really do with an audience." I inch closer to hear better. as he continues "I'm sorry for getting you into this Mare." He says as if he feels bad for her being engaged to me. Plus how was is His fault she ended up falling into the arena?

"Mareena" she corrects him "That's my name remember?"

"Then it's a good thing Mare makes a suitable nickname" responds

"I don't think anything about me is suitable." She sulks 

Cal completly ignoring her remark contines with the conversation " How do you like Lucus?" He says taking a step back

"He's alright, I suppose" she responds

"Lucus is a good man. His family thinks him weak for his kindness. But he'll serve you well and fairly, I make sure of it" Cal says back determined 

"Thank you, Your Highness." She says formally 

"You know my name is Cal" He says back using his childhood nickname. Cal has always had a nice nickname like that unlike the one he forced upon me ugh, Mavey. The name was dreadfully close to gravy which as a child i would always mistake Cal for saying at the dinner table and look like an absolute fool. 

I jump in at the conversation clearly missing a bit of it Mare's voice sounds distressed "You have to take care of my family, All of them, for as long as you can." 

"Of course I will" He says his feet sounding against the floor I'm sorry"

"Are you sorry for stopping my one chance at escape?" I hear a hint of anger in Mare's voice

"You mean if you got past the sentinels, security, the walls, the woods, back to your village to wait until the queen herself hunted you down? Stopping you was the best thing for you and your family" Cal responds and i have to admit he was right mother seemed extremely flustered at the sight of the lighting girl. Cal continues

"I could've gotten away. You don't know me" Mare argues back

"I know the queen would tear the world apart looking for the little lighting girl" Cal responds as if he knows at all mother, ugh 

I tune back in on the conversation Cal's voice continues at a place clearly stating I missed a sentence or two "She's not my mother. She's Maven's not mine" Cal huffs. I don't know how to feel about that mother could be a bit controlling and I may loathe her at times, but she was also the only parent who showed any affection to me at all. 

A maid scurries down the hall scaring me away I can't have anyone knowing I listened in on this conversation, I hurried down to the doors leading to our dining room. I take my seat next to Cal for once I'll be the center of attention, Cal was the real prize but I didn't fall far behind. Mother always told me every girl's dream was to be a princess never a queen. It wasn't a lie or anything, it just wasn't true once the girl became a princess, there has to be more to this prince forever thing.