“Nothing.” I said a little too quickly, “I’m fine.   It’s just a little scratch.”

“If it was just a little scratch then it would be gone by now!  Who did it to you?  Are you hurt anywhere else?” She exclaimed.

I looked around the room, wanting to avoid the question, and noticed her mother had left.  “Where did your mother go?”

“Oh, um, Jesse came by and told her that something important was needed to be discussed immediately in my father’s office, but stop trying to change the subject!  Who did that to you?” She snapped.  So much for avoiding the question…

I sighed knowing there was no way she would forget now.  I walked over to the side of her bed, and said, “Your father.”

She smiled at me.  “See that wasn’t so hard now was it?  Next time though you better tell me the first time I ask.” She replied in a fake stern voice poking me in the stomach, right where the king had stabbed me.

I gasped in pain at her touch before I could stop myself, and hoped that luck was on my side and she didn’t hear me.  It wasn’t.

“What did he do?!” She growled

“Look he barely got me in the gut before Aaron interrupted him and then he left for a meeting.  That’s it.  No worries.”  I said trying to smooth things over.

 She raised one of her eyebrows, “Has anyone told you, you are a terrible liar?  Now let me see, because apparently I can’t trust what you’re saying.”

 I sighed and swiftly pulled of my shirt, no use in arguing with her.  She would most likely win.  I untied the strip of sheet from around my waist and let it fall to the ground.  She let out a little gasp and I looked down to see for myself how bad it was.  It was pretty bad, there was a bloody gaping hole of flesh in the middle of my stomach.  It was worst than I had previously thought it was.  I reached back down and wrapped the sheet back around my midsection and put my shirt back on.  I finally looked up at Alyssa’s face to see her reaction and I didn’t like what I saw.  She looked furious.

“How could he do something like that and expect to get away with it!  You didn’t do anything! Oh he is going to get it!” She yelled and started to try and get up.  I, of course wouldn’t let her.  I put a hand on each of her shoulders and held her down.  She tried to move, but it was to no avail.  A vampire’s strength against a human’s, the vampire wins every time.

“Look Alyssa,” I said calmly staring straight into her enraged blue eyes.  “I’m a slave, a piece of property, things like this are going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it.  Marching into your father’s office with a hurt leg to yell at him, is not going to help, it might just make thing worse for me, and you.  You need to calm down and think rationally, because how you are acting now is not going to solve anything.  Now if I let you go are you going to try and get up?”

She paused in her struggling, thought for moment, and ended up shaking her head no, and I slowly released her.  The fire had died in her eyes and all she looked now was a little irritated.

“I hate when you’re right.” She said after a few minutes crossing her arms over her chest and pouting slightly.

I chuckled at her reaction, expecting a different one.

“How long will it take it to heal?” She asked curiously.

“I’ll be back to my old healthy self by tomorrow.  Now I will be right back, I need to go get the healer, before you fall asleep talking to me.” I replied noticing how hard it was for her to keep her eyes open.