Chapter 22: Twists and Turns

Start from the beginning

The fresh smell of blood hit me like a wave. The faint trace of a whimper floated from upstairs.

Zero motioned to the stairs, and I nodded. He went first, and I tailed him, keeping an eye out for surprise attacks. I pulled an arrow out, notching it, but didn't draw.

It wasn't the first time I had this thought, but fighting with a bow and arrow was extremely disadvantageous in a house like this. Rotted floorboards and wires dangled from the ceiling, making it hard to get a clear shot. Not to mention it was close-range in the small space, an absolute no for an archer.

Too late to back out now.

'"RARGHH!" The feral scream was the only warning we had before a shadowy figure lunged from the top of the stairs, its glowing red eyes pinned on us.

Zero had his sword out in a split second, impaling the creature before it could touch him. It exploded into a cloud of dust, sprinkling onto the staircase.

"Don't forget the second one," Zero half-whispered, half-yelled, as we ran up the rest of the stairs, trying to gain as much elevation before we were attacked again.

The second vampire wasn't as rash as the first, and remained hunched over in the corner, glowering at us. Grey mounds dotted the room, the remains of its victims. I pulled back the string, aiming the arrow at the Level E. It wasn't daunted by the silver tip, and circled closer, its mouth open in a snarl.

"Watch out!" A rustle of movement made me turn, just in time for clawed hands to catch me on the face, blood spraying into my eyes.

The second vampire took the opportunity to strike, and Zero stepped in with a swing of his sword. It was faster than I anticipated and ducked around the sword, lunging towards me.

The third vampire took advantage of Zero's distraction to rake its claws down his exposed back, its shriek of triumph screeching through the room.

Dropping to floor, I rolled halfway, dodging the vampire and brought my bow up to release the arrow at the vampire still in mid-leap. It went through its shoulder, inciting a howl of pain.

The wounded vampire landed unsteadily, and turned to me. In the corner of my eye, I could see Zero fighting the third vampire. The Level E had picked up a piece of rotting wood, and was, rather skilfully, deflecting Zero's blade with it. It would only be a matter of time before the wood gave way and Zero could kill it though.

The vampire ran at me before I could take another arrow, and I had no choice but to bring up my bow, the silver metal clashing against its clawed hand. In the split second we locked, I yanked another arrow out of my quiver and speared the vampire in the neck, flinching as it swung its other hand around.

Before it could touch me, it disintegrated into dust, some of it falling onto my shoulder, leaving me panting as the adrenaline surge died.

A final howl marked the end of the mission, as Zero swung his sword in a deadly arc, cutting the vampire through the middle.

The lower half of its body disintegrated, but it's torso was still whole as it turned to face me, its red eyes gleaming fiercely.

"Traitor," it hissed, the first proper word it had spoken. I shivered as it exploded into dust, forming another grey mound in the room.