Chapter 9

"The vampire society is trying to start a revolt, and they're starting by creating an army. The list here is a list of the aristocrats and big names who are in on the plot."

Zero frowned, deep in thought as he replayed the conversation in his head.

"I'm not completely sure what they're up to, but the kidnappings of many vampires and a few hunters seem related - I think they plan to build their army with them."

"But why would hunters serve them willingly?" Zero had asked.

"I don't know. We don't even know whether it's against their will or not."

Against their will or not. Hana seemed to imply that the rebels were brainwashing their victims somehow. Were they?

~~~

Sitting on the small bench, I winced slightly in the soft glare of the sun, but still warmed to it, feeling slightly more comfortable in it.

Vampires weren't meant to sit directly in the sunlight unless they were a Level D or so, but I was pretty close to a Level D...sort of. Either way, after what felt like a lifetime of being indoors and in the dark, the sunlight was an absolute sanctuary for me.

Closing my eyes, I let my mind wander, hearing the little rustles of an invisible breeze and the plants behind me. Tiredness crept up to me, and I began to fight the urge to lull into sleep. Hadn't I already slept for a day or more?

Just five minutes, just a little bit, my mind urged, pushing my eyelids to fall.

In the end, I gave in, and let my mind be swept away.

~~~

A bright ray of sun shone in Zero's face, making him blink in surprise, automatically squinting against the sudden glare.

The bright light brought him back to reality, and he stopped, noting his surroundings. Something caught his eye.

On a park bench, just a couple of metres away, Saki sat, fast asleep, on the wooden bench. Her mouth was slightly agape, and Zero noted how much more relaxed she looked, compared to when he had approached her in the infirmary earlier that day.

Her face just looked...relaxed. If having a mouth agape and a head lolling back on the seat counted as relaxed.

She looked more like a possum playing dead, a small thought crept up in his mind humorously.

Seating himself down gingerly next to her, careful not to wake her, Zero glanced over at the sleeping girl, trying to think of why his twin brother would love such a person.

Take care of Saki for me, Ichiru's last words echoed in Zero's head.

Taking a final glance at the sleeping girl next to him, Zero got up quietly, walking off to the Hunter Association's building. He had to tell Kaien about Hana.

Don't tell anyone what I have told you. There is definitely a spy in the association, and you don't want them finding out what you know, Hana's final warning came back to Zero.

Should he tell Kaien? Zero gritted his teeth as he considered his option.

He couldn't imagine the old geezer to be a spy, but even if it wasn't Kaien, there could always be someone else who might hear the conversation.

But then, if he didn't tell Kaien, how could he possibly try to stop this rebellion on his own?

The thoughts battled in his mind, each side putting forward their own reasoning and arguing until, by the time Zero had walked into the front office of the building, he had given up on choosing.