Chapter 18

Once again, we were back at the association. With the briefcase this time. Zero looked just as worn out as me, not saying a word as we walked towards the entrance. It was still dark, but the sky was slightly brighter than before. We'd spent the whole night chasing down Hana, a briefcase and the association.

Well, you're at your prime at night, so it's just as well.

Shut up.

Both of us stopped in front of the large gate that led to the inside of the building. Wearily, Zero held a hand out for the briefcase, before picking me up under his arm.

"Don't drop me," I warned him warily as the ground dipped frighteningly close to my face.

"I might be tired, but I can push myself further," Zero retorted, his grip on me loosening as we passed under the gate.

"Good to know," I muttered to no-one in particular. I really wanted to sleep.

"I'm letting go now," Zero replied in response, releasing his grip on me suddenly. With a muffled grunt of surprise, I fell onto the ground on all fours, the stone floor jarring my knees and palms.

"Idiot," I mumbled as I picked myself up. Some things never changed.

"Welcome back," Kaien looked up as we marched into the room, wearier than last time. "Have fun?"

"They tried to ambush us," Zero replied coolly. "But we fended them off."

"Looks like you have the briefcase now, though."

"Yeah," Zero continued briefly, placing the briefcase on the table with a thump. "I'm going home now." Taking off the case containing my bow and arrows, he placed it on the ground next to the table.

"Are you planning on walking back home?" Kaien looked amused as he took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes.

"Yes," Zero didn't hesitate and continued to walk out the door.

"Wait! Wait!" Kaien ran around the table, diving to catch Zero around his legs. "Don't gooooo! Zero-kun! Daddy will miss yooouuu!"

What a change.

"Get off," Zero tried to shake his cooing father after his leg, to no avail. "What do you want?"

"How about you stay here for the night?" Kaien hugged Zero's leg even tighter. "Daddy-kun needs some fatherly time with Zero."

Don't mind me just standing here.

"You do realise how creepy you sound right?" A scary aura was emanating from Zero, and I shivered. Kaien seemed slightly daunted, but continued to hold on.

"Not at all."

"No, honestly, get off," Zero continued to shake his leg, while Kaien stubbornly refused to let go.

Soooo, while I just stand here with no way out, how about you guys wrap up the conversation?

"Ah, Saki!" Kaien turned his gaze to me. "Help me persuade, Zero-kun will you?"

"Um," I tried to think of a way out. I glanced at the clock. Four o'clock. "It's getting pretty really late, so maybe we should all leave now-"

"Not a chance!" Kaien pouted. "The two of you should stay in the association. Ereon might still be out there. Since he set up an ambush, he knows you two are out there somewhere. With the briefcase, no doubt. The association building has ancient hunter charms in it, so there's no risk of being attacked here."

As he spoke, Kaien disentangled himself from Zero, pushing his glasses back up his nose.

"You two can stay in the guest room," he beamed at us.