Chapter 7

I won't eat. I won't eat. I won't eat the blood tablet.

Those thoughts had been going around my head for so long, it was another part of me. Which was why, when Zero tried to make me eat, I could only resist.

I was hungry.

But I was scared.

The fact that I was keeping myself from attacking anyone, or even taking a blood tablet meant that there was some sanity in me. Even an ounce was enough.

You're going to die, a little voice murmured. So just eat.

It isn't that simple. If I ate, I don't what will happen to me. Would I go mad after tasting blood and attack people, desperate for more? Would I kill someone?

What will happen to me?

"Saki." Zero's still there. "Are you not eating because you're mad at me?"

If I were mad at him, he would be the one starved to death, not me.

"No."

"So why aren't you eating?" Boys are dumb. If a girl doesn't want to eat. Let. Her. Be.

"Go away."

"Okay." His reply startled me. I relaxed, relieved to be left alone for once.

Without warning, the sheets were suddenly pulled back, exposing me to the dim light in the room.

"What are you doing?" I frantically tried to pull the sheets back, or burrow inside them. "Give them back!"

"You can't hide now," a hand held my chin, keeping my head from moving, as Zero snatched a blood tablet, pushing it quickly into my mouth. "Gotcha."

In response, I bit down on his fingers. Hard. His yell of shock rang through the room as he nursed his wounded fingers.

"What was that for?" I didn't respond, the blood tablet that lay on my tongue slowly dribbling its taste into my mouth.

Finally, I began to chew, swallowing down the metallic, disgusting blood, wincing as it washed down my dry throat.

The single tablet made me realise how hungry exactly I was, the dull, empty feeling inside me making me crave more.

~~~

Zero glared at the mutinous girl lying there, as he held his bitten hand. He'd done her a favour, getting her to eat, after all these weeks of eating nothing, and this is what she does?

Annoyed, he turned to leave, getting up from the side of the bed. It was a small hiss from behind him that made him turn around.

Saki was sitting up on the bed, one hand over her mouth, breathing heavily.

It wasn't the fact that she looked like she was going to throw up that worried Zero. Rather, it was the colour change of her eyes as they flashed from dark brown to red.

"Saki?" He reached for her uncertainly, gripping her shoulder. "Hey, are you okay?" He gave her a little shake, when she made no reply.

Saki just bit down on her hand, shaking slightly as she closed her eyes shut tightly. Zero couldn't see her eyes, but he had a strange feeling that they were red.

"Please stop me," he heard Saki's voice, just before something hit him, knocking him back, onto the floor.

Saki sat on top of him, her eyes a violent red as she leaned down to his neck, her hands shaking.

Please stop me.

Her fangs were clamped onto his neck before he could react, but rather than pushing her off him, Zero stayed still, letting her drink.