Chapter 6

How much longer?

Zero paced the room angrily. The Hunter Association had done nothing to even attempt to look into the case. And it wasn't just about Saki.

He had a feeling. A hunch. The kidnapping was more than just a simple kidnapping. Saki was just in the middle of it, that was all. He couldn't really care about her. It was the fact that other people could get hurt.

Like Yuuki.

With another annoyed snarl, he turned on his heel, pacing again to the other end of the room. The agitated walking had no effect on soothing his nerves.

"You're awfully worked up," Kaien commented from his desk as he watched Zero march past him for the fifth time. "Something wrong?"

"It's been two weeks," Zero managed through gritted teeth. "Who are those people? Why hasn't the Association done anything?"

Kaien was silent, as his eyes followed Zero back and forth across the room.

"They've been calling for a new president," he commented. "After the current one did a lousy job of keeping the Association in place. And conspired with the vampires."

"Then elect a new one," Zero muttered under his breath. "Grab some old geezer, wrap him in a cloak and call him president. How hard can it be?"

"Not just any old geezer can become president." Kaien's ears were surprisingly sharp. "It is a big task-"

"So we're just going to leave those strangers to wander around and kidnap people?" Zero could barely believe his ears. "Why don't you become president?"

A sharp knock on the door interrupted Kaien and Zero's discussion.

"Kaien," a dark head poked through. "We're ready." Her crisp accentuated voice was cool as she surveyed the scene in front of her.

"Well, Zero, I should be leaving now," Kaien jumped up from his seat, waving at his foster son.

"Hold on," Zero made to stop Kaien. "Where are you going?"

"Going?" Kaien had a guilty look to his face. "Oh, nowhere in particular. Just an assignment."

"Just an assignment," Zero frowned at the light-haired hunter.

"Toodles, Zero-kun!" Kaien disappeared out of the room, waving madly. Something was definitely up.

~~~

Blood.

Thirsty.

Hungry.

Die.

The words floated in my mind, as I lay there, floating in and out of consciousness. The room was so dark, I didn't know if I was awake or asleep.

All I knew was my thirst.

Voices.

They're getting louder. It was almost like a fight. It almost sounded like metal on metal.

Light burst in, filling my vision with its golden glow.

Footsteps came pattering in, and voices called out.

Who are they?

Was I dead?

Red was the last thing I saw.

~~~

"Detain her, quickly!" Kaien fired out orders rapidly. "We don't have much time."

Eyes glowed red in the dim lighting as the blood-crazed vampire struggled against the hunters holding onto her.