Chapter 3: Stuck in the frozen water - ice

Even though my eyes felt like they were going to roll into oblivion, they still found enough energy to turn towards Zero.

Maybe it was to check if it actually was him.

In any case, it was, and the way Zero's pale purple eyes glimmered with rage in the dim lighting of the alleyway chilled made everyone freeze as they tried to figure out how they could escape being shot by the silver anti-vampire gun being pointed at them.

"You can shoot him," the girl finally broke the stalemate silence. She placed her hands on her hips smugly. "But you can't hurt me. Not with that toy gun."

"Let's try then," Zero snapped, his finger pulling the trigger in that split second.

Purple light exploded as the bullet shot through the air, hitting the girl's shoulder. Blood poured out of the wound, the smell leaking into the air immediately.

"Ow," she glared at Zero, crossing her arms, completely oblivious to the wound in her shoulder. "That hurt."

Shock flashed in Zero's eyes, as he drew back, startled, and I'm pretty sure I looked the same. How could that girl stand a direct shot to the shoulder?

"Mika," the girl's companion grunted in warning. "Time."

"Hmm?" The girl glanced at the sky. "Oh, yeah. Okay, let's just finish them off and get going. Give me the kid, to make it quicker."

Shrugging the small child off his shoulder like a jacket, Mika's companion held the limp boy up to Mika's open arms.

"Stop it," I protested weakly, stumbling towards the pair, trying to intercept their exchange.

I was too slow of course, and all that got me was a blow to my side, knocking me to the ground.

You're so weak.

"You're still trying to fight?" Mika's face leered down at me from above, framed by the light of the sky. "No one can match up to Number 5 in a fight."

Probably because he's a living battering ram.

"She's still alive though," Mika continued to talk. "We can always take her as well. Quite pretty as well. Well, if you don't think about the bruise."

My head felt like it was filled with lead. Did that girl ever stop talking?

"We'll take her," Mika finally concluded. "Finish off that silver guy and we should get going."

With a grunt, Number 5 turned, beginning to thump towards Zero, leaving me lying on the ground behind him, barely conscious.

I heard gunshots and the signs of combat, but I couldn't see anything.

Couldn't hear anything.

And now I can't feel anything at all.

~~~

Zero gritted his teeth, firing another shot at the bulky form of his attacker. Another wave of his arm and Number 5 knocked the bullet out of the way.

"What are you?" Zero hissed, ducking a punch and landing a kick of his own. The stomach he kicked felt like stone, unyielding and barely responsive.

"Me," Number 5 grunted back, swinging his arm back and knocking Zero forward, clubbing him in the back. Rolling as he hit the ground, Zero immediately fired a shot at Number 5 as he rolled onto his back, Bloody Rose humming comfortingly in his hands, thirsting for blood. He didn't expect the bullet to cause any damage - he needed time.

As Number 5 batted the bullet away, Zero ran at him, ramming into him with as much force as he could muster.

With surprising speed, Number 5 ducked and met Zero's tackle from underneath. Zero's lavender eyes widened in shock as he was shoved back, the force sending him crashing against the alley wall. He sat crumpled against the wall, winded and beaten as Number 5 prepared to finish him off.

"Time!" Mika screeched, her voice suddenly desperate. "Hurry up and finish him off!" She had Saki under her arm, carrying her with ease despite her slender frame, and the toddler over her shoulder.

"Hm-" Number 5's answering grunt was broken off as Zero scrambled to his feet, sweeping a kick into Number 5's legs. Number 5 stumbled, but remained standing.

"Time!!" Mika screamed again, turning around on the wall, preparing to spring off down to the other side. "Just leave him!"

"No!" Zero hissed, refusing to let Number 5 escape.

Ignoring Zero, Number 5 ran towards the wall, leaping over Zero's attempt to trip him. With suprising agility, he clambered over the wall, disappearing into the other side, Mika jumping down with him.

Within seconds there was no sign that anyone had ever been there, except the smell of blood that still lingered in the air.

Zero growled under his breath, sagging against the wall tiredly. His ribs hurt from where Number 5 have tackled him.

Number 5.

What kind of name was that? Zero's brow furrowed in confusion. Who named someone Number 5? It was like he was a test subject - a test subject.

The memory of Number 5's stomach and legs feeling like stone as Zero kicked them. His unyielding strength and resistance to anti-vampire weapons. He wasn't a vampire, and he couldn't be a Hunter. At least he hoped not.

Heaving a sigh, Zero rose to his feet, leaning against the wall for support. Fumbling into his pocket, he pulled out a small metal container that rattled as he flicked the top open. Tilting his head back, he let the blood tablets fall into his mouth, the small white pills falling against the side of his mouth.

Crunching them down and swallowing, Zero prepared to leave, scanning the area for anything he might have missed. He would have to report the whole thing to the Hunters.

As his eyes flicked over the dank, dimly lit alleyway end, a thought flickered at the back of his mind. Why had he come here?

Shoving the blood tablets back into his pocket, Zero stared down at Bloody Rose, as though somehow, it would give him the answer.

Then it hit him.

Saki.

Where was she?

A picture of Mika carrying Saki under her arm as she stood on the wall flashed into Zero's mind. The final sight of Mika jumping off the wall onto the other side carrying two limp bodies followed it quickly.

Idiot.

Zero gripped his hair in frustration as he cursed out loud. He'd forgotten about Saki. She'd been kidnapped by that pair of thugs. This was definitely not a dream. So much for bringing her back.

There was nothing he could do now, Zero finally conceded. Mika and Number 5 would be long gone by now. He would have to tell Kaien and Yagari the news. Inwardly, he wondered how Shina would react.

She was going to kill him.

~~~~

Hi! Sorry for such a short chapter ^x^' I couldn't think of anything to add on. I don't think I've ever written in Zero's POV before, so I hope it wasn't too bad for a first time o.o Did you like the fight scene? I suck at them xD I tried not to do the 'he punched then she punched then he kicked and she dodged' kind of stuff, but, yeah -.-'
~Evil_Incubator