Chapter 6 - Bacta Treatments & Star Destroyers

Start from the beginning

The warm tingling felt different this time. Luke felt as if a million fingers were massaging his skin. Where the skin was damaged, he felt it heal—from pain, to itch, to puffy new skin growing in less than a few minutes. Due to the sensory deprivation effect of the tank, he was not sure how long he remained in the viscous fluid—hours at least.

When they finally pulled the boy out, his father was still there. He had not moved since Luke had entered the tank so many hours before. The boy's flesh was entirely healed, without even a scar left. Now, he could run and play without risking infection or further damage. Now, Vader could train him.

The next day, Luke and his father roamed the star destroyer

The next day, Luke and his father roamed the star destroyer. Vader adjusted his long stride to match that of his small son's. The Bacta treatment had healed the flesh wounds, staving off infection and scarring.

Now, his father led Luke to his new quarters. For the first time he would not be confined to the medical bay. He was amazed as he passed through the massive ship. Everything was new to him—the construction, the droids, and even the people.

After walking what seemed like two full kilometers, Lord Vader stopped in front of a set of blastdoors. He waved his hand over the control panel set in the wall to the right of the doors, and the doors slid open diagonally.

"Please, enter." He gestured to Luke with his left hand. Once they were inside, Vader shut the hatch again.

Wonder if I'm allowed to leave when I want. Or is this my new prison?

As if he could read his thoughts, Vader said, "Do not think of this as a prison, Son. There will be times I will require you to remain in here, but it will always be for your own safety. This is a star destroyer—a war machine. If you hear the announcement for general quarters or battle stations, I want you in here."

"Yes, Father." Luke gazed around his new home. A small foyer held a workstation and large desk chair. A shelving unit built into the wall behind the desk held old-fashioned books and holocrons.

Another hatch stood open behind it, leading to a sleeping chamber. Luke progressed into the room, finding a large bunk against the aft bulkhead with built-in cabinets around it. The bunk was unmade, displaying only a utilitarian mattress.

A large rectangular viewport spanned from deck to ceiling on the port-side wall, revealing the vast starscape of space.

The curvature of Tatooine appeared in the lower part of the window. Luke could see the line delineating night and day on the planet. When he looked out into the distance, he saw two of the three moons of Tatooine: Guernessa and Chenini. Luke assumed that the third moon, Ghomrassen, must be on the other side of the orbit.

Luke stared out into the starscape, hearing the regulated breathing of his father standing behind him. "It's so peaceful, Daddy, so beautiful."

"Yes, it is."

The boy could have sworn his father was smiling under that mask, at least that is what he felt through the Force. 

"There is nothing better than staring out at space imagining how we can make this galaxy a better place for all." Vader settled his hands on the back of his son's shoulders.

While the mechanical hands were heavier than Uncle Owen's fleshly ones, the boy felt the love and hope of his father pass through his hands.

Luke, however, was an eight-year-old boy, and standing still for long amounts of time was not in his nature. "Where do I sleep?"

"The bed, of course. I have a special chamber due to my injuries where I take my rest. While this is my chamber, I rarely use it. Consider it yours."

"Thank you, Daddy."

"Now, since it is your first day out of sick bay, how about a tour of my ship?"

"Yes! But . . ."

Vader turned to his son, kneeling down to his level so that he could look Luke in the eyes. "What is it, Son? I promise if it is in my power to do so, I will give you whatever you need."

"Could we go see Aunt Beru after it? She's probably really worried . . . and I miss her, Daddy," Luke said with tears glistening in his eyes.

"Of course. And after that, I'd like to take in the pod races at Mos Espa, if that's all right with you."

"Pod races? Wow!" 

Did you know . . .

● In this story, Vader does not have a castle on Mustafar, nor has the Emperor permitted him Bacta treatments since his surgery. The Emperor wanted to keep him in pain. (This is true to pre-Rogue One canon and interviews with George Lucas during the Original Trilogy.)

Tell me what you think

Tell me what you think . . . 

● What do you think will happen when Vader takes Luke back to Beru and Owen?

● Why do you think Vader is taking Luke to the pod races? [there are multiple reasons]