Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“Whose car is that?” Remy asked as she pulled her Camaro into the driveway.  “I’ve never seen it before.”

“Neither have I,” I said.  “And Will’s car isn’t here.”

“I’m sure he’ll be here sometime,” she said, opening the garage door and pulling in. 

We made our way inside and put our bags down at the foot of the stairs.  We walked into the kitchen and say Mom and Katherine sitting at the table.  Someone else was sitting there, too. 

“…just got back to Atlanta today,” he was saying.  And then he turned around.

“Troy!” Remy yelled, and ran toward him to give him a hug.  “What are you doing here?”

“I just got back today, so I decided to come up here and visit,” he said.  Then he looked at me over Remy’s shoulder.  “Hey, Reagan.”

“Hi,” I said.  “I thought you weren’t getting here until the very end of April?”

“Well, it’s the twenty-seventh, so it’s close enough,” he said.

“It’s good to actually get to meet my daughter’s boyfriend, seeing as she talks about you all the time,” Mom said.

“Mom, you’re being embarrassing,” Remy said.  “Again.”

“Well, this is a lot to take in one day,” she said.

I sat down at the table.  “I bet it is,” I said. 

“What do you mean?” Troy asked, taking his seat again, Remy sitting beside him.

“Might as well get it out there,” I said.

“There’s going to be a new little addition to the family,” Remy said.  “I’m going to be an aunt.”

“Really?” Troy asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at me.  “That’s great.”

“Feeling sick all the time isn’t great,” I said. 

“So where’s Will?” he asked.

“He should be over here in any minute,” Katherine said.  “He called right before you guys showed up.”

We all heard when a car pulled up in the driveway.  The front door opened and I knew it was Will.  He didn’t have any walls up in his head, but he was trying not to think something. 

I’m here if you don’t already know, he thought.  But then, just like that, the walls that had been placed there earlier were there again.

He walked into the kitchen and was looking at me.  He looked at everyone around the table and stopped at Troy.

“Hey, when did you get here?” he asked.

“Just a few minutes ago,” Troy said.  “I heard the news.  Congratulations.”

“Yeah,” Will said, looking back at me.  “Thanks.”

I shook my head and stood up.  I walked past Will without even looking at him and went upstairs to my room.  Tears in my eyes, I laid down on my bed.  I expected Will to come up right after me, but it was a few minutes before I heard footsteps coming up the stair and down the hallway to my room.  I put a pillow over my head and tried not to peek as my door opened.

I felt my bed move as someone laid down beside me.  The pillow lifted off of my face and Will was lying down beside me, his face inches from mine.

“What are you hiding from?” he asked.

I didn’t answer.  I closed my eyes, making the tears that had formed run sideways down my face.  He reached over and wiped them away.