Epilogue

Epilogue

Before I knew it, eight months had passed. 

Two months after Brittany and I had come, she and Nic had gotten married.  They would have gotten married sooner, but there were some traditions that couldn’t go undone. 

And now they were expecting twin boys, thanks to Isobel being able to look in her dreams to see.  She said that everything will go smoothly in their birth and there would be no complications. 

As for me and Leo, we had gotten married a month after Brittany and Nic.  I barely had any say in any of the details of the wedding, which was just fine by me.  I didn’t even pay that close of attention during the ceremony or feast afterward.  My eyes were locked on Leo’s, even when the priest was speaking. 

And, just like Brittany and Nic, Leo and I expecting twins, but baby girls. 

“Is there some reason both of us are expecting twins?” I asked now.  Brittany and I were at Isobel villa in Rome visiting while Conte Nazario, Leo, and Nic were discussing some kind of important matters in the next room. 

“Well, there kind of is,” Isobel said.  “You know how I have dreams of the future.”

“Of course,” Brittany said.  I still thought of her as Brittany, only calling her Aurora when others were around.

“It’s too much for just one person,” she said.  “So it’s been passed on to both of your children.”

“Hold on,” I said, rubbing my stomach.  I was five months along and pretty big.  But I wasn’t compared to Brittany who was eight months along and even bigger.  “What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s not going to be every generation who has this gift.  I made it so that it was every four.  I’m going to help teach the four of them how to do everything in their dreams when they are seventeen or so.  Then, when the next two sets of twins come along, one of each of your twins will be able to stay behind and teach them what I taught them.  It will be like an endless cycle.  The four of them will be able to be in each other’s dreams, and even into others.  That’s how they’ll figure everything out about the future.”

“How will they be able to do that?” I asked.

“Well, everyone’s connected to everyone through their dreams, even if only a little,” she said.  “The four of them are just going to be more connected to each other than everyone else.”

“But why?” Brittany asked.  “Why does is have to go on?”

“It just does,” Isobel said.  “Every single set of twins that are going to have this ability are going to do wonderful things.  One set is even going to help the United States after a terrible situation.  And the set before them is going to help them prepare.  There is no doubt that every set will do some good.”

“At least that will be alright,” I said, sighing.

We all turned our heads when we heard footsteps coming toward the door and all three of our husbands appeared.  Leo smiled at me as he knelt down beside me and put a hand on my stomach. 

“Are you ready?  I thought we might look around the marketplace before started back for Florence,” he said. 

“That sounds lovely,” I said, standing up.

After our goodbyes, Leo and I got in our carriage and Edmondo, our coachman, started toward Rome.  My eyes drifted closed as I leaned my head on Leo’s shoulder. 

For a moment, I thought that we were already in the streets of Rome, but then I realized that I was dreaming.  I had my arm in Leo’s as we walked toward one merchant.  But my eyes wondered toward a group of people standing a little ways away.  And I could tell that some of them weren’t from fifteenth century Italy but they’re twenty-first century clothes. 

I could easily spot the two sets of twins.  There was a girl and a boy with dark auburn hair and two girls both with blond.  They were talking to a group of others that astonishingly looked like each of them. 

One of the blond girls caught my attention, though.  She looked oddly familiar…and then I realized it.  She was the girl that had gone into labor in the bathroom of one of the restaurants that we had gone to on the last night before Leo, Nic, and Isobel left.  Now I knew why she’d said that she’d seen me in a different time and place…

She was staring straight at me.  Our eyes locked for a moment, and then I turned to speak to Leo.  I looked back at her.  I opened my mouth to say something, but then one of the babies kicked and I put a hand to my stomach.  The dream Leo turned and asked if I was okay and I waved him off, my eyes still locked on the girl’s.

With what Isobel had said earlier, I knew who they were – our descendants.  I smiled at her and winked, and then turned back to Leo.

I woke up to him kissing my cheek. 

“We’re here,” Leo said as I opened my eyes.  “Are you still tired?”

“No, I’m well rested now,” I said, smiling at him. 

Just like in my dream, Leo and I walked down to the same merchant.  Only when I looked in the direction that the group had been, the people standing there were the ones they had been talking to.  They looked in our direction – well, everyone else seemed to be also – and bowed and curtsied.

Leo was still looking at all of the jewelry the man had displayed.  And also like my dream, one of the babies kicked and I placed my hand over the spot. 

Leo looked over and smiled, placing his hand on top of mine.  “Does she like anything in particular?” he asked.

“I’m sure both of them do,” I said, smiling up at him. 

He leaned down, gave me a quick kiss, and we continued walking.

 ***So what did you guys think?!?  I absolutely loved writing this book...even though it was a while ago!

Do you want to read the rest of this series?  I'm thinking of posting the next one in it...

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1***