Chapter 9

The sky was growing dark. I didn't feel well; I had never eaten raw meat before. It left a sour taste in my mouth. The wolves were fine, though. I laid down, using Chanyeol's thigh as a pillow. The others started to settle in.

"Yah, Baekhyun," Chanyeol said. "Get D.O. and Chen to sing with you."

I curiously signed, They sing?

Chanyeol's brow furrowed cutely. "Does that mean 'do they sing?'" When I nodded, he smiled. "Yeah, they sing." He hums quietly, pleased that he figured out what my sign meant.

"We all sing," Suho said quietly. "Those three are the best singers, though."

Kris emitted a low growl. "I'm a good singer."

"Of course, alpha," Chen said in a teasing voice. Kris rolled his eyes and muttered 'pup' under his breath.

D.O. started to sing. It was a beautiful melody I'd never heard before. Soon afterwards, Baekhyun and Chen joined in. I closed my eyes. How beautiful... I opened my eyes when a clear, soft voice was added. Is that Suho?

Moved by the lullaby of the wolves, I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Amber returned. She smiled. "You've done well, Luna. They have accepted you. Now Kris will listen to you. Get him to remove his abjurement."

"Easier said than done," I replied. "Luhan is angry at me. I think he is jealous that I am a member of the pack. All I did was trap some animals and catch fish."

Amber shook her head. "No, Luna. Luhan can't be mad at you. He's just upset."

"But why?" I asked.

"You are pack," Amber said. "There is no need for Kris to continue revoking his abjurement. You are under pack protection."

I was beginning to understand. "So I don't...need...Luhan anymore."

She nodded. "If Kris reenforces the abjurement, you won't be allowed to see or meet or talk to Luhan. That's why you need to ackt now."

"What should I do?"

"Include Luhan in everything. Talk to Kris. Do whatever you can. Use me as an excuse."

I nodded. Hesitantly, I asked, "What about my mate?"

She pondered that. "I know that your mate is powerful. Not as powerful as an alpha, but quite strong. The real test will come in the next few days."

I frowned. "What is happening in the next few days?"

Her eyes met mine. "New moon."

I stared at her. "What happens on the new moon?"

"The wolves...they are men now, but on new moon, they physically become wolves. Huge hunting, killing machines. It was on the new moon that Luhan killed me," she said quietly. "On new moon, the pack loses its humanity. You, as a human, will become prey. Even if you are pack."

"You sound like you've heard this before," I pointed out.

She smiled sadly. "Luhan said the same to me." She sighed, "Anyway, on the new moon, your true wolf mate will stand and protect you from the others if--or when--they turn on you."

"I had a dream that I was a wolf," I told her. "And there were two other males fighting over me. One was light-colored and the other was dark grey."