Chapter 4

“She knew what she was doing,” Luhan said. “She lost to me on purpose.” He pulled his knees up to his chest and buried his face in his arms.

I swallowed. If Amber and Kris were mates… He must have loved her very much. That makes Luhan a murderer. But aren’t they all murderers? Why would Amber stay with them? I was full of questions.

“As a punishment for killing the alpha’s mate when I had the upper hand,” Luhan’s voice was muffled, “I was a…abjured from the pack. This is the first time I have seen any of them in nearly three hundred years.”

“What does it mean to be…abjured?” I mouthed. Luhan didn’t see me, and I again wished that I could speak. Because of his body language, I assumed that abjurement was bad. I moved closer to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.

He looked up. “I miss them,” he murmured. “Tao, on the night I killed Amber, told the alpha that she hadn’t wanted the pack to be divided. It’s not divided anymore, but it has lost me.” His eyes met mine. “It is good that Kris doesn’t know about you. If you and I are found…Kris would destroy us both.”

Chanyeol bounced up to the den. Even though the guilt from the several murders still burdened his soul, he was happier. There was a survivor. A very pretty survivor. Chanyeol leaped over Baekhyun, another wolf, as he slept and landed quietly on the floor. Chanyeol scooted closer to his packmates and laid down, sharing the warmth.

Kris was watching him carefully. “What’s got you in such a good mood?”

“Oh, nothing,” Chanyeol said. “I just played tag with Tao, that’s all.”

Kris turned to his Beta. “Where were you?”

“Taking care of a few loose ends,” Tao said. “I was on my way back when this thing pounced on me.” Tao nudged Chanyeol with his foot.

Chanyeol growled playfully. “You’re still it.”

“No I’m not,” Tao teased. “I just tagged you.”

As soon as he had finished speaking, the two wolves took off, chasing each other around the den. Kris rolled his eyes. Chanyeol had a crazed, happy smile on his face. He was, Kris thought, acting very much like his old self.

“Chanyeol, you pup, you stepped on my face!” Another wolf, Sehun, leaped from his spot on the den floor and chased Tao and Chanyeol. There were yelps and growls from other wolves. Soon, everyone was playing the game.

Kris sighed. If Amber was here…She would be right there with them.

“Kris…” He felt a gentle touch on his shoulder and a quiet whisper in his ear.

He lurched to his feet, whirling around. There was no one there. He sat back down again, burying his face in his hands. Now he was hallucinating. Great. His wolf was searching for control, trying to overcome him. He needed his mate.

Amber, how could you do this to me? He thought. I miss you. We all miss you. I know this couldn’t be what you wanted. Why did you have to die? He looked up at the sound of Chanyeol being brutally dogpiled by the rest of the pack. Even Suho had joined in.

“Play with them, Kris,” the soft voice returned. “Go play with them.” He felt a soft touch on his forehead. He looked up but again saw nothing. He knew that he hadn’t imagined it; his wolf had been calmed by the (imaginary?) voice.