Chapter 12

He had shifted back into human form, unable to maintain his wolf form. He was bleeding heavily from a vicious bite on his neck and arm. I was losing him. Still in my wolf form, I darted to a small, sand-colored wolf. Lay shifted into a man and bit into his arm. He didn't give Luhan his healing blood, though. Instead, he turned to Kris.

The massive, black alpha hesitated. I pleaded with him. Luhan would die without Lay's help, but he was abjured. If Lay shared blood with him, Luhan would become pack. Kris still hadn't forgiven Luhan.

I didn't have time for this. My mate didn't have time for this. He was dying. Without thinking, I felt myself change back into a human. I bit into my arm as I had seen Lay do and pressed the wound against Luhan's mouth. Luhan, thinking that it was Lay's blood, began to drink.

To my surprise, it worked. Luhan's injuries stopped bleeding and slowly began to heal. THe dazed, clear glassiness left his eyes, and he blinked. When his gaze fell on my arm, he shoved me away. I briefly felt a pain at the rejection until his eyes met mine.

Tears filled my eyes, and I threw my arms around his neck. "Mate," I said out loud in a strong, clear voice. "Luhan..."

"Luna, you're a she-wolf!" He sounded stunned but happy. "You can talk!"

"Shut up!" I snapped, pulling him forward and kissing him. Lay chortled.

A long, beautiful howl pierced the air. The entire pack--me and Luhan included--looked up. Running down the mountainside were eleven beautiful, magnificent she-wolves. In the lead was a female with yellow eyes and pure white fur.

"It's the she-wolves!" Luhan exclaimed, pulling away. "They've come out of hiding!"

The pack of males shifted into their human forms. Kris moved forward first. His red eyes were fixed on the alpha female. As the she-wolves slowed, some of them began to change. A black wolf with silver eyes shimmered before turning into a slender, raven-haired girl. She ran up to Chanyeol. A mature-looking girl with long hair and mischievous brown eyes smiled as Chen ran forward, lifting her off her feet. 

Only the leader had not shifted. She moved slowly towards Kris, who had frozen in place. Recognition dawned on me as she finally began to phase. 

With tear-filled eyes, Kris croaked, "Amber." Faster than I had seen anything move, the alpha sprinted at his mate and half-hugged, half-tackled his mate and pulled her close.

I was crying. Luhan was crying. Chanyeol and his mate were crying. Kris and Amber were crying.

I had never felt happier.

                                                          -----------------------

"Zijun! Where are you going?" I shouted, running after the giggling little girl.

Luhan grabbed my waist as I darted past him. "Let her go," he said in my ear. "She's probably going to play with Guoguo." His hand slid towards my stomach. "You shouldn't be running, anyway."

My face flushed. "How did you know?"

"You can't hide anything from me," he growled, planting a kiss on my shoulder. He briefly squeezed me. "Another beautiful baby. What more could you give me?"

"YAH! This pup has turned me into a horse!" Chanyeol's voice rose above the giggles of small kids. I laughed as the lanky werewolf appeared on his hands and knees. On his back was my daughter Zijun and Guoguo, Xiumin's rambunctious little boy.

"Zijun, give Uncle a break," Luhan said with a smile. "This is the fifth time today."

"Luna's got her hands full," a kind voice said. Amber and Kris walked up, holding hands. On Kris' back were their twin boys. They were tired from playing all day.

Luhan nodded. "Zijun is a rascal."

"I meant with you," Amber teased, grinning.

Chen ran up. "Have any of you seen Wángfēi? I can't find her anywhere."

Kris said wisely, "Woe to the male who misplaces his mate."

"Are you two playing hide and seek again?" I asked. "There are pups around!"

He just winked and jogged away, calling for his mate. Luhan, Kris, Amber, Chanyeol, and I went silent. We heard a thump and Wángfēi's sly giggling. Kris rolled his eyes.

"Bedtime," I called to Zijun. Chanyeol flopped onto his stomach, groaning 'finally' under his breath. Zijun and Guoguo climbed off his back and stepped on him as they ran into the den.

Chanyeol's mate, Dara, laughed. "You look awfully funny with all those little footprints on your back."

"Not as funny as you," he mumbled. Dara darted out of the den. Chanyeol was up on his feet in an instant. Kris sighed as they chased each other through the trees.

"Li and Kevin are getting big," I commented to Amber as Kris carried the twins into the den.

"And handsome," she cooed. "Just like their father." Kris looked up with a smile. "Kris and I are over two hundred fifty years old. It was time for pups." She turned to me. "I can never thank you enough, Luna."

I smiled. "Good night, Amber." I laid down. Luhan curled up behind me and spooned me into his chest. Zijun yawned from her spot next to Guoguo. Luhan wrapped his arm around my waist.

I closed my eyes and drifted to the sound of home.