Chapter 25 - Gloom

Your POV

Nick smiles as he sits up from his dining table and picks up his dinner plate.

"That was nice, wasn't it?" He asks as he collects your plate, you flinch as he reaches over to grab it.

You've stayed at his house for the entire week and it was the same thing every time.

During a movie, he stretches his arm up and then rests it your shoulder.

Flinch.

After a nap together, he pulls you in for a kiss.

Flinch.

At the bathroom sink, he grabs his toothbrush from the square holder.

Flinch.

It's no longer the fear of him cheating on you - it's him threatening you. The difference is, in the past you chose to ignore it and let jealousy fuel your love for him, but this time you can't ignore it when there is a mark across your cheek.

"Let's go to bed, we have work tomorrow." Nick says quietly and places the dishes in the dishwasher. You silently get out of your chair and head to his bedroom. Soon after you get dressed for bed, he walks in and his eyes are droopy with sadness. He must've noticed you flinching. Not that it's a bad thing, it's his fault in the first place.

Both of you get into bed without saying a word to each other; a negative tension between you.

After a few restless minutes, you hear a short and subtle vibration next to you. A glow comes from your bedside table and you sit up to see your phone notified with a text from Dan.

"Hey Y/N, I was wondering if you want to grab a coffee with me tomorrow morning?" You glance over to Nick, snoring loudly against his pillow, and then back to your phone.

"Sure, where do we meet?"

-

Before Nick could wake up, you escape his apartment and pace the streets to reach the coffee shop Dan told you about.

You go to open the door but at the same time, someone else also grabs the handle. Their palm lands on the top of your hand; it's cold and soft. You turn your head to the left to see Dan looking back at you, he quickly retracts his hand in shock.

"Y/N, hi." He laughs nervously and you smile warmly, opening the door for him.

"Hey Dan." You greet and a grin grows on his face. He does a small nod and then crutches into the coffee shop with you following behind.

"You go sit at a table, I'll order." Dan says as he stops near the counter.

"You don't even know what I want." You smirk.

"Trust me I do." He reassures you cockily and you roll your eyes.

"Alright but I will sue you if you get it wrong." You declare sarcastically and turn around, searching for a table. You spot one in the corner and make your way towards it. Taking a seat in the red booth, you gaze out the fogged window and watch people walk by for a while.

"Okay, our drinks will be ready soon." Dan announces as he reaches the booth, resting his crutches against the wall and sliding into the seat opposite you. There's a little bit of silence, presumably Dan studying you as you still look out the window.

"What are you looking at?" He asks with clarity in his voice.

"Nothing. Just people." You laugh lightly and tune your attention back to him. You look up into his eyes for a second before averting yours back down to the table.

"How are you?" He questions simply. Subconsciously, you place your hand on your cheek, paranoid as to whether you covered up the large mark well enough. You slowly lower you hand back down to the table and think of an answer to Dan's question.

"I'm alright. It is 7 am so I'm not in the best mood." You laugh and Dan chuckles.

"Why did you organise this to be so early? The show's at 8:45." He pesters and you gulp worriedly.

"Uh- Don't worry about it." You stutter and he nods his head understandingly.

"How are you?" You ask after a few seconds and he looks out the window. For a brief moment, he goes to say something except he stops and turns back. Raising a finger and pressing onto the glass, he draws a sad face. As you stare at it on the window he avoids looking at you, possibly embarrassed.

"Why?" You whisper, your eyes still glued to the glass. Dan shrugs and looks across to the coffee counter.

"Our order's ready." He blurts, sliding out the booth and retrieving your drinks. He limps back over and places your coffee in front of you.

"I swear Phil has got a girlfriend." Dan laughs, starting a new conversation.

"Is that the girl from last we-"

"Yep." He sits down and takes a keen sip of his coffee.

"I don't even know her name, I think he's keeping her a secret or something." He explains and frowns slightly - maybe because he and Phil are best friends yet he knows Phil isn't telling him something. You smile to assure him otherwise.

"Phil will tell you eventually. Just let him do what he thinks he needs to do right now, if that's keeping his relationship a secret then so be it." You advise and Dan grins back.

"There's still noodles in my bedroom." He says randomly.

"Gross." You reply.

"You're gross."

"Oh god, we need to deactivate ourselves." You sass and Dan chuckles. You take your first sip of your coffee and for a while, you think nothing of it.

"Wait, how did you know?!" You exclaim surprised. Dan rests his chin on the back of his hand and flutters his eyelashes. You whack his arm away and his head falls a little.

"Hey!" He complains but you raise your eyebrows and take another sip of your coffee.

"At least you're not getting sued." You joke.

"I could sue you for not thanking me or applauding me for getting your coffee order correct." He states, crossing his arms and tilting his head.

"Thank you Dan." You laugh slightly and he grins back.

The gloom that was hovering over the conversation is long gone. As strange as it may be, the gloom was nice. It was calm.

I'm actually really happy with this chapter even though it's kinda boring.