Chapter 8 the other side

Start from the beginning

As we continue on the monotonous journey, my mind keeps replaying my parting with my family. The way Mama had cried; how Papa had voluntarily hugged him and it was brutal to say goodbye to everyone. Arielle was still delirious; she had no idea where she was or who we were. I couldn't even say goodbye to her probably. Andre didn't seem to know what was really happening either, but Candice caught on. She held onto my shirt until the end, making me promise that I would go back. I wish I can. No; I will. I will go back. I will find a way to fix Arielle and I will go back to be with my family.

But right now, I need to survive this bloody tunnel.

It's difficult not to glance up at the tunnel top every now and then. My entire body is tense at the possibility that it can crush down any moment, burying us all alive. But Evan doesn't seem worry, and I seek a little comfort in that.We met with a guy near the old airport in London, who didn't even give us his name and took us on day long hike along the train tracks. I had never in my life walked out in the open for so long, but he had a gun with him.

We reached an abandoned train station that night and stayed with a group of wild-looking people. They seemed to know the guy with us and despite not feeling safe, I managed to grab some much-needed sleep. We reached the small congregation near the tunnel entrance on the nightfall of the next day and rested there for a day. It was to make sure that we are ready for going in the tunnel. The entire time I can't help but feel on edge, but with Anastasia's power and mine, we should be able to get away with most attacks. But that doesn't include a collapsing tunnel.

"I heard you're from London," Evan suddenly speaks up. I nod, not sure if I want to talk to him.

"What's it like there? Do people really kill each other all the time?" Evan asks. I stare at him. Is that how people think of London?

"No, we don't," I answer. Evan seems disappointed and his enthusiasm is making me a bit uncomfortable. "We have fights, but I haven't heard of a killing for years."

"Yeah, but that's only your part, right?" Evan continues probing. He really is unnaturally interested in this. Anastasia's footstep turned a little erratic behind us, and I think that maybe Evan had hit a nerve.

"So I take it things are different here," I divert the subject. Evan shrugs, going back to the uninterested person, but he sure needs to give me at least some answer after I have answered his weird questions.

"It's less exciting, but we get by fine if we're careful," Evan's answer is about as generic as the gravels under my feet. "I mean, it isn't like we are 100% safe, but at least we got a good base and good routine."

I nod at that; that part I can understand. I really don't know how the nomadic communities do it; not knowing where you can get food, where is safe and a place you can always go back to. It's a safe topic, so I start talking to Evan about it.

"You know what, I have been seeing less of them," Evan muses. He'd admit that he doesn't understand the idea of a travelling group either, so it's a good place to bound. Mama had urged me to talk to people I meet and establish a connection, it'll make them less incline to hurt us, she said. So I am doing what I'm told.

Anastasia comes closer at Evan's words; she seems to be drawn to this conversation and more alert than I had seen before. "So how many of these groups have you seen?"

Evan perks up a little and I wondered if it's because he is talking to a girl or if this is a topic that he loves. "We use to see a couple every year passing by, but lately there have been less and less. We have only seen one group for the past two years."

Anastasia looks thoughtful, and I remember the strange killing that we found around Lour part of London in the past two years. Is something more sinister happening? Does this have anything to do with those government remnants?