Chapter 22

In the throne room...

"So then I attacked with a shadow ball but he countered with flamethrower." Morrison had said. The princes of the many regions had all gathered in the throne room and were discussing their previous battles. Ash really liked all of them, aside from Gary. He did nothing but stare daggers at Ash from the side of the room with a scowl on his face. Ash decided to at least try to get to know him.

"Hey." He said. Gary looked him up and down and then told him to stay away from Serena.

"Sorry?" Ash said.

"Look I know you think you're all that. "Prince Satoshi of Alto Mare" But lets get one thing straight. I am far superior to a loser like you and the only one who will be marrying the princess. Got it." Gary said. He then walked away, leaving Ash very stunned and hurt. The others noticed Gary had been very rude to him so they went up to speak with him.

"Just ignore him." Brock said.

"Yeah he's nothing but a sore loser." Morrison said.

"His palette does have a rather bitter flavour," Cilan added. Ash was pleased to have friends kind enough to stick up for him.

The doors opened to reveal Serena and her Grace. The two took their places on the thrones and Grace gestured for the princes to line up before them.

"Now," she said. "You are all eligible suiters for my daughter and I have been informed that she has finally decided which of you she wishes to marry." She nodded at Serena who stood up to announce which of them would become her husband. She walked down the steps so she was level with them.

"I have decided to marry... Prince Satoshi of Alto Mare." She said.

"What!" Gary cried.

"What?" Ash said. He was thrilled but completely surprised. The two ran into each others arms and cuddled each other very happily. The other princes, aside from Gary who was now fuming, were congratulating Ash and Serena. They then all left the palace to returned to their kingdoms. They would have stayed if they didn't have a duty to care for their people. Only Ash/Satoshi, Serena, Grace and Gary where left. Gary said he could stay a while longer, though secretly he was hoping to find a way to change Serena's mind.

Grace was beaming all over and insisted the two announce their engagement right then and there. So the four of them walked out to the head of the large steps leading down to the square. The trumpets sounded, earning the attention of everyone in the square. Including Paul, Trip and Damien.

"I would like to announce the royal engagement between Serena princess of Kalos. And Satoshi prince of Alto Mare." Grace said. Ash and Serena waved as the crowd cheered. They looked at each other and smiled before joining hands and gazing lovingly at each other. Nothing could ruin such a perfect moment, nothing. Except...

"STOP!" Was suddenly heard blasting across the crowd. Serena and Ash both turned to see none other than Trip marching through the crowd. Ash felt a small feeling of nervousness stir within him. He was sure Trip was up to no good. "The princess cannot marry this man." He declared pointing an accusing finger at Ash. Ash's grip on Serena's hands tightened in fear, he had a bad feeling Trip knew the truth. Unfortunately his feeling was right.

"Why?" Questioned the queen.

"Because the law states that the princess must marry a prince and he is no prince. He's a fake." Trip yelled. He practically spat the sick words in Ash's face; he was now right in-between him and Serena. The entire crowd gasped in shock. Prince Satoshi, a fake?! "Yes!" Trip exclaimed as Ash backed away in sheer horror. He knew what was coming next. Trip ripped off his mask to reveal his face and knocked his crown off so his messy black hair could fall around his head again. There was yet another gasp from the crowd including Serena and Grace this time as Trip merely smirked in triumph. "You see, he's not prince Satoshi just the loser muck boy Ash Ketchum!" Trip said giving Ash a shove so that he lost his footing and fell back into a large puddle of mud. The villagers suddenly erupted into laughter. Ash pushed himself up but found he hadn't the will to stand. He was utterly humiliated and heartbroken.