Chapter 101 The Provider

"You yourself called them a destructive race."
"They are. But still, there is another side. You see, I... I love them. It is a very strange thing. I... I can't find a way to explain it to you. For many years I cursed my luck for being sent here. Human life is difficult. But as this life is coming to an end... I consider myself lucky... to have lived it."

-The day the Earth stood still.

Burns

"How about this?" Emma appears from behind the curtains of the changing room to show her new combination, a dark red shirt and jeans.

I nod. "Nice."

That earns me a smile. "You've said that about every item I've put on so far."

"Because it all looks nice," I answer.

We are on our way back to the hide-out after being on the road for a week. The back of the van is so full of supplies that there's hardly any room for Will and Blake to squeeze in, but we've managed. At the moment the two of them are in the back of the van, waiting for us to return. Letting me go with Emma was a leap of faith for Will. He still seems wary of me, but at least he doesn't treat me like a monster anymore.

Emma rolls her eyes. "You're just saying that." And she disappears back in the changing room.

A large smile appears on my face. What a difference from the first time I took her shopping. She is more at ease now. She trusts me now.

I eye the pile of clothes next to me on the bench. Men's clothing. Emma is shopping for the girls. Kim and Kelsey are about her size, but Rachel's a little taller and Sophie is shorter. It will have to do. Anna-May is a lot broader than Emma, so we can't find her any clothes, but I don't think she'll be bothered if she has to wear men's clothing.

Emma comes out again, in her own clothes this time. The last outfit she wore is added to the pile we already collected. "Let's go," she says. Her eyes flick to the store clerk who has been watching us with a beaming smile.

I can sense Emma growing nervous. It's time we leave. I pick up all the clothes and wrap my arm around her. "Keep breathing," I tell her softly.

She offers a weak smile and follows me to the counter where she keeps her eyes averted while the girl checks out our goods.

"These looked so good on you!" the girl smiles brightly.

Emma manages a shy smile. "Thank you."

I take the bags from the counter girl and smile at her. "Thank you so much."

"Have a nice day!" the girl waves us goodbye.

"How are you feeling?" I ask Emma as we walk down the street, her hand firmly locked with mine.

She takes a few deep breaths. "It's strange," she says, "all the time we've spent hiding, I wanted to walk outside again and now that I'm here, I want to go back."

"That's not strange at all," I assure her, "but it's going to be fine. I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know," she says. Suddenly she stops and turns her head.

"What is it?" I ask alarmed. Were we followed? Are there Seekers around? Where is the van? Are the others okay?

She turns to me and smiles. "I smell pizza."

A chuckle escapes my throat. "You want pizza?"

"We can bring the others some too," she says, "they must be hungry."

That's true. They've been hauled up there for a while. I nod and pull her over to the restaurant across the street. "What pizza do you want?"

"A large pepperoni with extra cheese," she says.

"Make that two," I tell the vendor, "and two large sodas please."

"Coming right up," the man smiles and he relays our order to a boy in the back. The man turns back to us. "Taking your girlfriend out on a day around town? I haven't seen you here before. Are you on vacation? Where are you from?"

I smile, carefully avoiding the questions that could put us in danger and answering with a story we spun before we came here. "You mean Denver or the Singing World?"

The man grins. "Bats eh? Must me quite the adjustment then. I come from the Flowers. Bathes in Sunlight."

"Nice to meet you, Bathes in Sunlight," Emma says softly. There is only a small tremble in her voice. I'm proud of her. "I am Silver Song and this is Many Melodies."

Bathes in Sunlight smiles at her. "You came to Earth together, did you?"

I nod. "Yes, we were partners then too."

"That is so romantic!" Bathes in Sunlight sighs.

I almost laugh as I watch this burly man gaze at us like a teenage girl, but then I wonder what kind of man he was, before a Flower took his body. It's a sobering thought.

"Two pepperoni with extra cheese and two large sodas." The boy in the back calls our order and Bathes in Sunlight turns to get it. He hands us two large boxes and two drinks. "Enjoy the food," he winks.

"It smells fantastic," Emma smiles, "thank you so much. Bye." She quickly turns her back and starts walking towards the van three blocks away. When we turn the corner, she lets out a shaky breath.

"You're doing great," I tell her, "we'll be on the road soon. We won't have to be so careful then."

"I know," she nods, but she picks up her pace and I follow.

***

"Pizza!" Blake is practically drooling when he opens the box. He takes a large bite of his slice and lets out a satisfying groan. "Man," he says with his mouth full, "I can't even remember the last time I had pizza."

Will rolls his eyes. "That doesn't mean you have to eat like a pig." But he takes a slice too. "Hmm. Too bad the others are missing out."

"They don't have to," I say while turning onto the highway, "we can get some more when we're closer to home. With the heating stones we have now, we can even warm them up again." We can get anything. I can get them anything.

Emma grins content while chewing away on her own slice. Seeing her happy always makes my heart skip. I haven't seen her this relaxed in a while. Actually, I think I've only ever seen her relaxed once, the night I brought her back.

She catches my look and smiles. "Do you want some before it turns cold?"

"I'm driving," I say apologetic, though the pizza does smell good. My stomach growls. I smile sheepishly. "I'll eat when we take a break."

"I could drive," Emma offers, but I shake my head. It's better if I stay behind the wheel. There are regular patrols in less populated areas where we are driving now.

A slice of pizza dangles in front of my face and I blink.

"Quickly," Emma says, "before all the topping slides off."

I comply and work down the food. It tastes great. David loved pizza. "Thank you," I smile at Emma, but she's not looking at me.

"Stop the car," she says. Her smile from before has dropped and she's staring at the road ahead.

I follow her gaze. In the distance I can see the cars and people.

No.

Not now.

Not when everything else went so smoothly.

Seekers.