Chapter 13

Warnings: No real warnings, at least to my standards. But just in case I guess I'll mention that intense things happen and Preston gets frustrated.

     ~Rob's P.O.V.~

"I think we'll be at the mountain today... And hopefully we'll see everyone else along the way. Or at least one person." Preston evaluates, gazing at the mountain ahead.

The previous night had proven to be hard, mobs constantly attacking us as we searched for a place to sleep. Not only that but the worms did not last long, and soon enough we were hungry yet again. Oh and also of course there's the cold factor, certainly not in our favour.

"It's going to be a challenge scaling the mountain too, it looks really steep." I pitch in, taking in the steep tilt of the mountain, especially near the top.

Currently trekking through a clearing the sun is brightly shining in the sky, and ahead a long strip of trees expands before us, stretching on for miles. Although not very important I note that most of the trees are actually pine and spruce, save a few maple or oak trees here and there. The cold is really starting to get to me now, freezing temperatures seeping through my clothing and chilling me to the bone. Well at least it's numbing the pain. I reason glumly, realizing that's probably the only good thing.

Taking another limping step I try to keep the graphic images of my leg out of my mind, not wanting to have another sick session. Every step feels like needles are stabbing into my ankle, and without the help of Preston I would never be able to survive. Ironically enough it's because of Preston I'm like this. Wait, no... It's not his fault. It's just sheer bad luck. I mean a blizzard and wolves at night? Something was bound to happen. Plus it isn't like he was purposely aiming for me.

These random thoughts keep playing through my mind and before I know it, we're approaching the trees right before the mountain.

"Woah look at the size of her." Preston comments, whistling.

We are stopped right before the tree line, the mountain looming over us. He's right, it is absolutely ginormous. It is definitely climbable, yes, but it's so steep near the top that I doubt even the most skilled rock climber could conquer it. It reaches easily past the clouds and near the base a few hardy trees grow from its rocky edges. About 3/5 of the way up snow starts to appear on the mountain, clumped together in incredibly unsteady piles. I watch nervously as a large portion of snow breaks off from the side of the mountain and tumbles down at a fast pace.

     "We should wait till tomorrow to climb it. It's past noon right now and I don't wanna be stuck up there finding mobs." I state earning a nod of agreement from Preston.

     He starts forward again and brings me along with him as we start into the surrounding trees. And after a good few minutes we come to the rocky ground before the mountain, the trees stopping abruptly before the base. Now that I'm only meters away from the actual mountain itself it seems larger than ever before. And soon enough my eyes find themselves lingering on a giant patch of snow clutching to a particularly steep part of the mountain above us. My gaze flickers to Preston but he doesn't seem to be paying the snow any attention, instead glancing around the ground.

     "Let's go look for a cave or somewhere to sleep. It'll protect us from the snow if it starts up again tonight." Preston states, oblivious to the danger above.
     "Shh! We have to be quiet. I know it's really far up but look." I whisper harshly, pointing at the snow.
     "Oh... That could be a problem. It only proves my cave idea better though. If that stuff falls we will be safe inside and we can dig our way out later."

     I roll my eyes, not understanding Preston's way of thinking. But at least he drops his tone of voice to a quieter level.

"How about this. You stay here and I'll go look for a cave or something. That way it'll be easier for both of us since you won't have to move and I won't have to drag you around with me. Then you can keep an eye on your precious snow up there." Preston suggests.
"Sure but make sure you don't make any loud noises okay?" I warn him, but before I know it he's already gone.