Chapter 6

Warnings: Character deaths (not anyone from the pack, don't worry)

~~~

The wolves, whimpering, retreat into the bushes with their tails between their legs and Vikk and Lachlan share a high five. But they soon realize they cannot rejoice so quickly.

"Hey Vikk... Where is everyone else?"

~~~

     ~Vikk's P.O.V.~

     "We must have split up..." I conquer, glancing around the forest trees to confirm my suspicion.
     "Fish fish fish..."

     I brush the snow off of my clothing which I had acquired upon landing in the snow. Lachlan reflects this movement and we scan the surrounding area, unsure of what to do.

     "Well seeing as it's night and the snowstorm isn't letting up I'd say let's just try and look for everyone else in the morning." Lachlan suggests, running his fingers through his waves of golden hair.

      Nodding in agreement we pile up snow to create some walls and then scoop out an area within these walls. Crawling into the space, the snow walls keeping off some of the wind, we snuggle into the dead grass now uncovered by snow. I shiver, wrapping my arms tightly around me. Why on earth did I wear a t-shirt? Is my last thought before I drift off to sleep.

~~~

With dull morning sunlight filtering through the spruce trees I awake, consciousness still hazy. For a moment I imagine I am in my bed, back in the village, wrapped in blankets of warmth. That until all the memories come flooding back, causing me to frown and sit up. I yawn, noticing Lachlan is already up. He's not too far away from our makeshift shelter, eyeing our tracks.

"Do you have an idea of which way we should go?" I question, rubbing my eyes as I walk up beside him.
He frowns and shakes his head, "Well I see that we came from this way, judging by these tracks, but I don't know how we'd find out where everyone else went. Even if we follow our tracks all the way back I'm sure once they reach the field the snow would have covered them by now."
         "You're right.... So what do you suppose we do?" 
         "Let's gooooooooooo..." Lachlan spins around, pointing in a random direction, "That way."
        I glance up at the sky, through a small gap in the trees, "So we're going West?"
      "Yes... We are heading West. Hey looked I rhymed."

      Lachlan strikes a victorious pose and I roll my eyes, taking the lead. From what I can tell the snow has ceased. Thankfully. I'm definitely feeling the cold, but I try my best not to show it. If Lachlan caught on that I'm freezing he'd most likely freak out. So I try my best to put on a poker face and trudge on through the forest.

      Eventually we come to a clearing in the forest, nothing big but it allows us to see the sky clearly for the first time this day. Luckily it is not snowing, and the sun is only halfway into the sky. I'm thankful for its warm rays shining down onto my frozen exposed skin. Lachlan seems content as well, turning directly to face the suns warmth.

"Think we should stop here and warm up for a bit Lachlan?" I question, rubbing my hands together so they warm up.
"Yeah, let's go once the sun is halfway down to the trees."
"Let's see if we can find some food too... I'm getting pretty hungry." I state, my stomach growling its agreement.