Chapter 14

Chapter 14 is finally up!

I walked home from soccer practice that afternoon. When I reached the gate, Lily was playing in the yard, mom was watching her closely. My niece was just starting to sit up on her own; as soon as she saw me she teetered then fell over onto the grass. I dropped my bag and went over to her; she lifted her arms for me to pick her up.

"Hey Lily, how was your day?" I asked holding her on my hip. She smiled up at me, I guess she had a pretty good day.

I picked up my bag and walked over to where mom was sitting under the palm trees. My bag fell off my shoulder as I sat down.

"How was soccer practice Meghan?"

"The usual, run a mile, tactics for offense, aggression for the defense, and penalty kicks for the goalies. How was your day?"

"I had a three hour phone conference with a client who thought that moving the deal signing to Friday would be a good idea. Lily missed you, and Connor had a late start this morning. So to sum it up, hectic as usual."

I laughed, it had been a long time since mom and I had actual been able to talk one on one.

"I was thinking about taking Lily to see her mom tonight, would you like to come?" mom asked me, as Lily fell asleep in my arms. I smiled,

"I would love to come, I really need to see Skie, it's been so weird without her here."

Mom and I sat on the beach for a little while longer before we went inside to start cooking dinner. I carried Lily into the house, and set her in her play pen. I walked into the kitchen to help mom cook dinner. She started boiling water for rice, I started to brown the chicken for tacos.

The sun was starting to set by the time that dinner was finally ready. I walked out onto the beach before I set the wrought-iron table outside, on the deck. I felt the wind gently blowing across the warm beach. The fading sunlight gleaming off the surface of the water, I could see a few dolphins leaping out of the water then gracefully diving back below the surface.

I began to lay out plates on the table, finishing with drinks just as mom brought out dinner. I called up to Connor to join us, there was no response.

"Maybe he's sleeping." mom mentioned as she handed Lily to me and set up the booster seat. I laughed lightly,

"Connor is always sleeping. Or he's just ignoring us."

"It's not nice to talk about people behind their backs, you know that, don't you little sister." he whispered in my ear, sneaking up behind me. I jumped and screamed when he whispered, then whirled around.

"Jesus, I thought you were going to give me a heart attack! Don't ever sneak up on me like that." I cried, he just laughed.

"You are so uptight, you need to relax. It'll do you some good!"

"I. Don't. Need. To. Relax. You DO!" I shouted at him, turning my attention back to Lily. She was staring up at me with her big green eyes, semi smiling. She seemed to be enjoying Connor's antics, or maybe she was just smiling to smile. Regardless, she's really cute when she smiles, at anyone.

I gently set her in the booster seat that mom had brought out, Lily squirmed a little, then settled down and started eating the cheerios that had been set for her. Connor, mom and I all sat down and finally to eat.

The silence was almost deafening, the only thing that could be heard was the ocean waves crashing up upon the beach. The soft breeze blowing the wind chimes on the porch. I glanced at Connor, just to see if he was going to say anything, to either mom or I. He just continued to stare at his plate, not really eating, not really paying attention to anyone. Suddenly, he pushed his chair back,