Chapter 9

A/N... once again... not really my best work... but I thought about this one a bit more than chapter 8. Either way, enjoy!

~bree

For the next few days, I watched as everything was slowly packed away into boxes little by little. Carefully, the memories that had been accumulated over the years were slowly being packed into cardboard boxes and Styrofoam packing peanuts. The truck was leaving the next morning, so everything needed to be packed onto it by 18:00 hours.mom already left, so I managed to sneak a box onto the back of the truck. A box that mom didn't want me bringing to California, the box with Sam's notebooks in it.

I packed the boxes in a dark corner of the truck, and then ran back inside the house. There was one notebook that was still in my room, one that I hadn't finished reading yet. I closed the door behind me, and sank down against the frame whispering,

"What mom doesn't know won't hurt her. What mom doesn't know won't hurt her!"

"Really Meghan, now you’re up to keeping secrets from mother. Not good, when did you become rebellious?" someone tsked from the shadows. I jumped about three feet in the air, and began to scan the room for signs of anyone who might be lurking in the shadows. I nearly missed Connor, who was standing in the corner of the foyer, almost completely covered by the shadows that were beginning to creep through-out the house.

"I... I thought you had already left. Wh... why are you still here?" I stuttered, Connor grinned mischievously,

"I'm not leaving for another hour, what are you doing sneaking around in that truck?"

"You know it isn't nice to question your little sister." I stated, hoping to throw him off his train of thought.

"You know it isn't nice to change the subject, and don't try to wiggle your way out."

I couldn't say anything, I just stared at him. Connor smirked,

"That's what I thought princess."

"Geez, Connor, who soured your cereal?" Skylare asked waltzing into the room.

"None of your business." Connor and I both growled at the same time, Skie backed up in surrender. I ran up the stairs screaming,

"I should have gone to California with mommy!"

Connor yelled something up the stairs I didn't hear; all I know is that he was not happy with me. I ran to my empty room, and slammed the door shut. Running to the windows, I threw them open and climbed onto the window. I crawled along the shingles, ignoring the gusts of wind that blue my long hair astray. The gusts soon turned to violent, bone-chilling late Virginia wind; I ignored them just the same. I also ignored the dark, looming clouds that were quickly ascending over the town.

I tried to slow my gaspy breaths, trying to clear the tears that were building in my throat, it did no good. The tears just started to run down my cheeks, like rain running down a window during a storm. I curled my legs up to my chest, and hugged my knees, thinking about my life since Sam died. How many things had gone right, but then there were the many things that went wrong.

I started to hate myself, hating my family... or at least what was left of my family, I was beginning to hate my life. I also was beginning to hate Sam for dying and leaving me on earth alone. I was pretty pissed at the entire world.

 I wanted it all to end, for it all to go away. I knew that there was only one way to make that happen, and that was...

,to cut myself off from the rest of the world.