Chapter 4

• Dedicated to Starr Simone Brooks

“Dad, why are you here.” I asked looking at him suspiciously.

“I am here to pick up my daughter, like a normal father would.” he replied smiling.

“You are not a normal father.” I hissed, turning back to the window. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an hour of my father’s constant stories on how sorry he is about never being around to come and pick me up himself, and how his work always takes him to different parts of the country and then sometimes different parts of the world. He also gives me condolences time and time again for Sam, but I know that he doesn’t care about her. Sometimes that man is just so full of himself and it gets extremely annoying, he is also a lair, and a very big one.

 “Dad, are we going to do anything as a family, this time around, or are you and Cassie going to jet off to London for a few weeks and leave myself, Xavier and Amanda home with the nanny again?” I asked as sarcasm filled my voice as I narrowed my eyes. Remembering the night that my father kissed my forehead and told me that he was going away of business and Cassie was going to accompany him. That meant that I was being forced to stay home with Xavier, and Amanda, two people that I did not get along with. 

“Well, when we get back from the hotel that we will be staying in for Samantha’s funeral, I was thinking that we could go to the beach house in California, just the two of us and we could catch up.” He replied smiling. I loved the beach house that he and mom once shared, but after the divorce, I learned to hate it. So now it was going to feel like torture, since now it was going to be just me and him. 

“Can Skylare and Connor come? Or did you want it just to be me and you?” I asked again turning from the window to look at him hopefully. Dad’s smile grew larger,

 “What a wonderful idea, I will call your mother when we get back to the house and see if it is alright with her.”

 “Thanks daddy!” I said in my best Daddy’s-little-girl voice, because I knew that I if I could find away to wrap him around my finger than I would. I smiled sweetly then got up to give him a hug, against my will but in my mind I kept saying, you’re going to win this fight, and boy was I right.

 After an hour or so, dad had Michael pull into a restaurant; I looked out the window, and realized that it was my favorite restaurant, Michelangelo’s Finest.

 “Daddy, I haven’t been here in years,” I gasped smiling, “is it going to be the two of us?”

 “Yes, it’s going to be just you and me catching up, just like old times.” he replied smiling as we got out of the car. The owner of Michelangelo’s, Leon came out to meet us.

 “Ah, Daniel, how wonderful it is to see you again.”

 “It’s wonderful to see you again too, Leon, do you remember my youngest daughter, Meghan?” Leon smiled and took my hand,

 “Of course, how could anyone forget this beautiful face.” He replied kissing my hand. I smiled and nodded,

 “Hello Leon.” I said shyly suddenly feeling overcome with fear, and for some strange reason I felt like I had never seen him in my entire life and I felt strange. Leon was a family friend, so why did I feel like I had never met him, I also felt like I didn’t want him to touch me, I pulled my hand away. It was my trust issues coming back again. I have extreme trust issues, and the only people that I can trust to some extent are; my biological family, and Sam and her sister to a certain level. For some reason, the way that Leon was looking at me, frightened me. I didn’t feel safe here; I just wanted to go home. But dad wouldn’t let me talk, and I knew better. Mom’s number one rule; Children aren’t to speak unless they are spoken to first. I just kept quiet and turned on my iPod, and listened to the music, trying to let myself be swallowed up in the rhythm and melody.