Dinner and Dresses

Start from the beginning

    "And Sherlock?"

    She smiled, "I know what he likes."

    Militum felt a few hairs on his neck stand up, "You-" he almost said humans, "People are so strange in your relationships with each other."

    "And what about you and Lorem?" she asked. Militum stiffened. She noticed. "Do you not have the same relationship as . . . us humans?"

    He didn't bother looking surprised that she already knew he was a far cry from human.

"No," Militum allowed.

    "You should tell her that," she laughed, "Because I think she is more human than you give her credit for."

    Militum frowned, "what do you mean?"

    She stood in a smooth motion and walked around to the doorway, "I am going to go get dinner set. We have a few more guests arriving."

    Militum watched her as she slipped away. Whatever Sherlock had going on with her, he didn't envy the man. That woman was unpredictable.

    His thoughts turned to Lorem, as they so often did. What could the woman have been referring to? Militum knew that Lorem was continuing to act more human by the day. After all, so was he. But the way she dove into Percy's mind too easily. He had been blown away. She had done as well as the High Readers back on his planet. She had a natural skill in it. For most energy beings it took years of training and skill to manipulate another person's energy. And she had done it on her first shot. Lorem was not like his people. She was something more. More powerful and more human.

    He remembered how robotic and instinctual she had been when he had first met her. Now emotions decorated her every sentence. It was not his doing, but her love for Percy and their relationship. Jackson had somehow taught an emotionless energy being to be human. The woman was right. Lorem had become so much more human than he had realized. And it somehow made Militum Love her more.

    ***********

    The food tasted heavenly. It could have been ambrosia squares for all Percy knew. His plate was flooded with all sorts of food. Lorem kept pestering him about taking it easy, but he was ready to sink his miseries in mashed potatoes. Percy got at least enough food for three people. Maybe five.

    Lorem sat beside him, keeping one eye on him at all times. Militum sat on the other side of the table with John. The two of them were as thick as thieves since he had awakened. They had obviously bonded while he had been in the desert. Lucky them.

Between bites of steak and potatoes he recognized Mrs. Hudson from the flat and John's wife who were at the other end of the table. The only person he didn't recognize was the woman at the head of the table who had been making eyes at Sherlock since dinner began.

    "Sherlock," Mrs. Hudson peered over at him, "Why are we here? I was in the middle of cleaning when I got your message. They are a bit cryptic, dear."

    Mary looked between her husband and Sherlock for the answer. Percy wondered if he should intervene. Offer some explanation. Instead he looked at Lorem to see what she would do.

    "We are in danger, Mrs. Hudson," Sherlock said, "I wasn't going to leave my Landlady in the cross fire."

    "Oh Sherlock-" Mrs. Hudson said but Mary cut her off.

    "Explain to us what going on, Sherlock." she gave him a pointed look.

    "Yes," the woman at the head of the table agree, "Please do."