Death by Griever

Chapter 46

Percy didn't know how he had ended up outside the walls after they had closed. All he knew was that someone in the Glade hated him.

Percy frantically felt in the darkness for the crack between the two gigantic doors. Over and over again he retraced his steps where he knew the middle was meant to be. He couldn't feel a crack. Fear, that ever present feeling, came upon him. He could hear the grievers. Percy reached into his pocket and grabbed Riptide. He fiercely prayed that it worked on grievers.

*****************

"No, No, no!" Lorem yelled at the stubborn cement doors. It had all happened so quickly she hadn't seen Percy's face before they launched him into the darkness as the sun's light fell. None of the boys in the stupid Glade even knew that she was there, they couldn't even see her. She was stuck there, invisible, Percy facing whatever grievers were, and just about everything was falling apart.

They were supposed to travel out of there in a mere couple of hours, with Percy gone, she would miss it. If that happened . . . she didn't know what would happen. . .

Two days earlier

Percy had integrated himself into the Glade life using the mist. No one questioned his presence. He went about his day, eating, gathering information, and doing everything he could to stay out of the way.

The Glade, Percy found out, was the singular living space in the middle of a huge maze. And like clockwork there would be boys delivered into the glade every month. But what was even closer to the clock was the timing that the huge stone walls moved every morning and evening. During the night times the openings to the maze would close and leave them enclosed on all sides. Percy felt like a prisoner inside those walls.

Lorem was his greatest company whilst he was in the Glade. They walked the grounds, her invisible, he cloaked in mist, and they talked for hours. No matter how hard she tried, she would not tell him about her childhood, but he did pry out of her stories. She seemed to have been everywhere. Percy loved to watch her eyes dazzle bright gold when she described a place far away or the animals that lived there. Percy loved her excitement. In turn he told her all about him, his past, Annabeth, and all that he had been through. She was amazed by incredible things he had done. Coming from her, it felt like a great compliment.

Even though the Glader's talked strangely, Percy figured it would be a cool place to hang around for the next three days. That was until a girl showed up.

Just as the Greenie came the day before, this girl had come from the box in the ground. Her appearance, and warning, had the whole Glade spooked. Because of the extra paranoia that was going through the Glade, Percy's mist began faltering. It hadn't been too noticeable until lunch that day. . .

For a presumably fifteen year old boy, Gally was a tall boy with black hair and green eyes that were nowhere near as appealing as Percy's. His nose was his most notable feature because of its likeness to a potato. In fact, his nose was the only thing that Percy could look at when Gally was around. This was why when Gally caught him staring . . .

"What do you want?" the Gally asked, blocking Percy's way out of the dining area.

"Nothing," Percy said and then tried to walk around the other boy before being blocked once again by the potato nosed kid.

"Listen here, shank," Gally said, "that is not how you talk to your superiors." Percy tried to pull on more mist but nothing seemed to be happening.

"Sorry man," Percy said trying to keep the irritation from his voice. It apparently was still there because the boy's face turned into a sneer. Gally took another step closer, with the mind to show him exactly what he thought when-

"Break it up!" said Newt from behind Percy. Percy backed away, glad to see the second in command. Newt, Percy had seen, was a nice guy with blonde hair and a great leader. Newt stood between Gally and Percy before looking both of them in the eyes. "Do we have a problem here?" he asked.

"No," Gally said in a low voice.

"Not at all," Percy responded. Newt nodded and told them to go cool off.

Percy thought the whole affair had been so strange, and unnecessary. More than that everything was beginning to feel fuzzy, almost like he was light headed.

Percy couldn't remember what had happened between his meeting with Galley and the appearance of the girl. Everyone flocked to the box in confusion. He heard Glader's whispering about how they should be getting anything today. What that meant . . . Percy didn't know.

Everything felt like it was happening in slow motion.

He could hear gasps and chattering, but he couldn't put it all together as words. Percy frowned. What was going on?

Percy stood entirely still. He couldn't feel the time passing as everyone rushed the girl to the huge shack. Soon he was standing alone before the box. On one side of his consciousness he could feel Lorem trying to talk to him. Percy couldn't get his mouth to work. He . . .

He . . .

Percy was. . . .

****************

Lorem didn't know where he had gone, what had happened, or anything. All she knew was that Percy was gone.

"Percy?!" she yelled as she walked through the Glade. None of the boys see or hear her. She had to dive out of the way a points to avoid being run over by the boys as they ran in a certain direction. "Percy!" she called. Where was he?

The day wore on and no Percy was to be found. Percy had told her about everything that had happened with Elsa and the mysterious and murderous "Master" who had it out for them. She worried that this was his doing. She had to find him.

***************

Author's Note:

Apologies for the short chapter, I have been doing lots of other projects and such so patience would be great.

So really important: who from maze runner do you want integrated into the next chapter?

Also I am REALLY excited for the next dimension that they will go to, if of course Percy makes it out of this one. Got to always leave that in the air, loll.

UMMMMM!

OH!

So if you are interested to see what the next (maybe) dimension will be, follow: @Keeli_Yates which is an account that will have bonus material to Falling through Portals. I haven't decided how much yet, but who knows! Yea!

I know there was something else I needed to do on here . . . can me reiterate just how awesome you guys are? Because I have been blown away by just your guy's presence in this book. I really do love you guys!

I want to dedicate this chapter to: @RoseThorn14 I am not looking right at your username so I am sorry if I spelled it wrong. Thank you for being awesome and keeping up with my story. I think you are one of the many who complained that I have not updated in a week, if that was you I was laughing when I read that comment, if that was not you . . . I don't know . . . to be honest I haven't been looking at my notifications recently because the app keeps slowing down on me and it is a pain in the booty. Sorry I almost went on a rant in the middle of your dedication. Thank you and you fabulous.

Other news! I got a tumbler! So if you have one of those things then you can follow me if you so desire at: @EmotionallyCompromisedWriter yea! My blog is mainly book stuff with BBC stuck in there too.

By the way! One of the many projects that I have been working on have been on my Original Book. more info on that later but keep your ears open for more on that because I think you all will like it when I get it published. *excitement*

Okay I think that's it . . . probably not but oh well . . . I could go on this forever . . .

DFTBA