Dinner and Dresses

Chapter 99

    Militum had almost gone mad with worry as the minutes ticked by.

He had been watching Jackson's energy flow the entire time. The flow was continuing to lessen even after Lorem went in. Militum looked at her.  Lorem's body had rolled forward to lean against the couch. Her head had ended up resting on Percy's side. It was like she had just passed out. Then he felt Percy's flow stop decreasing. Relief flooded into him. He waited for the flow to strengthen but it didn't. It was five- ten minutes before it happened. It was a huge rush of energy through Percy's Life Blood.

Militum had let out a laugh. He turned to where the others were standing in the foyer. "She did it!"

The only one who didn't look surprised or relieved was Sherlock. Militum ignored him and looked back at Lorem and Percy. Soon the bright red color leaked from his face. Percy's energy level returned to an almost normal level and Militum leaned back on his heels and sighed. He would be okay.

It took much longer for Lorem to come out of it. But eventually she gasped awake and looked a bit disoriented. She explained what happened and John helped him carry Percy up to one of the bedrooms upstairs. Once the demigod was all settled, John left leaving the two of them alone.

Lorem sat in a chair next to Percy's bed. She didn't even look up at him.

"He is going to be alright," Militum promised.

She nodded, still not looking at him, "I know."

"Are you okay? I know that must have taken a lot out of you," Militum said.

"Yea, but I am alright," she fiddled with the bottom of her white camisole. It was hard not to notice how incredibly beautiful she looked. He looked away.

"Alright, well I'll be downstairs," he shuffled to the door, "Holler if you need anything."

She didn't respond before he left.

As he walked back down stairs, part of him wanted to go back and sit with her. But he didn't think she would appreciate that.  

    Instead he ended up in the sitting room across from the beautiful woman he had seen earlier and with another cup of tea.

Gah, tea.

Militum didn't share Percy's affinity to the stuff. It tasted like bitter water, no matter how much sugar and cream he dumped into it. The woman's legs were crossed and a sly smile played on her face as she stared at him. Militum could hear John yelling at Sherlock from the other room. Something about not telling him about the woman still being alive, whatever that meant.

    "What is your name?" she asked finally. Her English accent was smooth and sensual. She wasn't young, but she was beautiful by any standard. Most people probably only saw the beauty, but he could see the intelligent shark just behind her eyes, ready to tear you to pieces.

    "Militum," he said and took another sip of the awful tea.

    She chuckled, "Your parents couldn't think up a better name?"

    Militum sighed and set his cup down. Humans. Always criticizing people's names.

    "How old are you?" she asked as she cocked her head slightly.

    He chuckled, if only she knew. "Too old for you."

    This got her attention. She leaned forward and her eyes widened, "really?"

    "So how do you know John and Sherlock?" Militum asked, letting his boredom seep into his voice.

    "Them?" she glanced to the door behind him, "John is an old friend."