//spilled blood//

ELISA
February 27th, 1571
6:34pm
Ballroom

I watch the people around me dance on the Austrian music I've requested. I scan the crowd and notice Henri telling Louise jokes while they slice a piece of cake, Bash chatting calmly with Madame Zulu, Claude gossiping with her ladies, and Charles in the middle of the ballroom, enjoying himself, and dancing wildly with almost everyone.

  French court is very festive.

  "My dear," Catherine de Medici says. She approaches me with a familiar-looking man by her side.The man bows at me.
"Your Majesty," he says.
"Elisa, I want to introduce you to Lord Narcisse. He is one of Charles' spies, and his French ambassador," Catherine informs.

   I look at the man. Lord Narcisse. I remember him when I went to the privy council.
   "A pleasure to meet you, sir," I bow. "I hope that you are a trustworthy one, yes?"
  "Of course, Queen Elisabeth. Your mother, and Charles has been working with me very well before you came here. I'm sure that it is the same for you."
  "I hope it is."
   I break my eye-contact to see Charles makes his way through the crowd, slipping through every person. He interrupts my conversation with Catherine and Narcisse.
  "So sorry to bother but, may I borrow her for a minute?" He says, smiling brightly at his Mother and the ambassador.
  They both nod in agreement.

   Charles seizes me by the arm and pulls me towards the myriad of people dancing in the middle of the dancefloor. Charles' crown-less hair is messy, his dark locks is flying off everywhere due to dancing.

    He doesn't looks like a King at all, In fact he can disguise himself as a youth member of the court or something like that.
   I'm also secretly grateful that my heavy cape is off of my back, my crown is somewhere locked in a chest inside my chamber.

   "I see that you are enjoying the dance?" I remark.
   "Oh, absolutely. One girl asked me to see her in private."
  "What?"
  "Eh, I told her no. I'm the King."
  "Oh."
   Charles lifts up my arm to his shoulder. "Tell me, what kind of dance that you cannot do?"

   I bite my lower lip in refusal to answer. It's going to be quite embarassing but,
"A volta," I answer.

   He smirks and drops my arm. He turns towards the crowd, and claps his hand. The crowd stops moving, they all turn to look at him. He looks at the orchestra, claps his hands once more.
   "Play a volta!" He exclaims.
   I freeze. No. I cant dance a volta!

   Suddenly, the Austrian music turns into a Volta. The audience moves back, giving us space, too much space to embarass me from the lack of my skill of dancing. Well, I think I know one or two about Volta but still...

   Then, I hear the drums. Help me. Charles bows down to me. I do the same. Then what? Does it open with a galliard? Charles stands there, with a smirk on his face. Wait, does the woman starts the galliard? Oh. I look around the people, they're watching me. I turn my gaze at Charles. Ugh I hate you.

    I take a deep breath and take seven steps of galliard around him. Wait, is it six? I see Charles do the same. Ah, crap. It's five galliards. Then, do you come together in the middle? Wait, nope. Charles circles me. I stand akwardly while he does that. Elisa, you're dead. Then, finally, we come together in the middle. He puts his hands on my waist. Is he going to lift me? Yes? No? I feel Charles tightens his grip on my waist. Yep, he's going to lift me.
   I put my hands on his shoulders as I feel myself flies off the ground. He puts me down. Then he lifts me again, but this time, I'm not ready. I fail to put weight of his shoulders, I lost balance, he lost balance as well, we both sway to the side then--

   My head hurts. I can feel my cheeks pressed againts the floor. I open my eyes and see Charles trying to pull me up from the cold, marble floor. I pull myself up. I can feel my cheeks warming up. Great. Just absolutely amazing.
     I hesitantly look at the crowd. They're watching me, but with worried faces. I hear no music. I catch my breath and look up to Charles. He shrugs his shoulders and stifle a laugh. I roll my eyes and elbow him at his side. He grunts in pain.
   I turn my head towards my people. Be graceful. I bow down.
      "Thank You!" I blow them kisses.  

    They all break into an applause, cheering for me. They all gather together in the dance floor again, the Austrian music comes back, they all dance. I pull Charles and I away from the people and throw him harshy in a corner.

  "What the hell was that?!" I angrily exclaim at him. Charles roars into a laughter, crinkling his nose, clapping his hands like a stupid seal.
   "I don't know," he chuckles. I roll my eyes at him.
   "C'mon, I know you enjoyed it!"
My mouth opens, agape. I push him. "Excuse me?! You embarassed me!"
He laughs again. He takes my hand and kisses my palm. Don't try. I grit my teeth.
      "I know that you can never...ha...stay angry with me."
  I roll my eyes harder. His hand snakes around my waist and pulls me closer to him. Lavander and Vanilla. His scent. He abruptly plants a kiss on my forehead. I flinch. Ugh.
   "I swear on the French soil that I will have my revenge and your punishment!" I exclaim angrily. He raises his brows. "Oh my," he chuckles playfully, "and what kind of punishment would that be, my dear Elisa?"
   "I will take your lungs out and shove them right up to your--"
   "Your Majesties!"
   We both turn around and see Lord Narcisse hurrying his way towards us.
  "I apologize to interrupt your...moments of passion but, Queen Elisabeth," His gaze turns towards me, "Maximillian,The Duke of Austria is here to see you. He's at the gates."